• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

[Forum Backup] Best with or without Gzip?

A.J. Angel

What's better?
icon_confused.gif
Thanks for your answers in advance!
icon_smile.gif

Down to server load really, it's not much, use it if possible.

It's just like ZIPing a file, compresses it in size before transfer.

If you only have a small DB then it makes no odds, for large DB's use it if your download speed is low or limited transfer amount on your hosting.

Basically I can't think of a good reason not to use it :)

Well for now, I'm on a free host but whenever I could afford my own server, I'd like to transfer it. Besides, it is also because I'd be making backups just in case there is any problem with the host's servers. Not to mention that I'd at least have something to continue from instead of starting back from scratches if the host ever took his legs to his neck and runaway...

So from what you guys say, it depends on the speed of my connection? If it's fast, I don't need Gzip, if it's not, it is better to use it then?
icon_confused2.gif

More or less, if your pulling a full DB backup and its big use gzip as it will be a whole lot quicker importing it again too :)

Back