• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

[HELP] Taskbar Missing Problem

Secret

I'm using windows xp with service pack 2 installed, yesterday, i got a problem:

usually, your taskbar will loks like this:
[start menu] - [quick launch] -[list of opened windows/programs] - [system tray + clock]

but now,[list of opened windows/programs] is missing, so it become like this:

[start menu] - [quick launch] - [system tray + clock]

i thought, when i restart my pc the problem will be solved automatically, but this time, it won't. and you know there are no option to hide/show this thing.

any ideas how to fix this (without re-installing my windows)?

thanks. :)

Change Styles by right-clicking an empty space on the desktop, then clicking properties. Change back to the "Windows XP" theme in the tab that opens up.

right click on toolbar, uncheck Lock This Toolbar and try to move around the slider pieces.

Have you made any changes to your PC recently? Like installed a program or changed the registry?

No. ---> this is what really confuses me. Yesterday, while browsing with firefox and listening music with jet audio, explorer.exe suddenly not responding and the process ended (error).When i restarted explorer.exe, that thing (the task list) is missing... i restarted my pc, but it doesn't help.

No. ---> this is what really confuses me. Yesterday, while browsing with firefox and listening music with jet audio, explorer.exe suddenly not responding and the process ended (error).When i restarted explorer.exe, that thing (the task list) is missing... i restarted my pc, but it doesn't help.

I think we got the picture now Secret. Do what Karlo S suggested and navigate to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore and do a system restore.

What does a system restore mean?
Installed applications (most of them) along with the system files will all be rolled back to that point. All of your current documents and misc. files outside of the System folder will NOT be touched when doing a system restore.

Yeah, system restore sounds like the best thing to do.

If that still doesn't fix it, then, well, you'll have to backup your stuff and re-install windows.

type CMD in start->run
type chkdsk c: /r
and hit Y to perform on reboot

If Windows became corrupt at some point, that up there ^^ may work wonders. It takes a while though, so don't get ancy and stop it in the middle.

i don't see any restore point.

are you sure checkdisk would work? it happened suddenly while was working...
is there any registry keys that could fix this? all taskbar-related settings are kept in registry, right? it looks like that there's something missing in my registry.

Last edited:
No I am not sure it will work, but I have recovered unbooting computers from the dead using chkdsk. Won't hurt to tr will it?

Back