• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Hey, can I get a little help with a server?

Sirbob80

Ok here's the deal. I was checking out ebay not really shopping and I can across I xeon dedicated server for like $50 a month. Well I gauss I'll be posting the specs sometime so I'll go ahead and do it now.

# Xeon 2.8 ghz
# 1 gb ram
# ILO standard access
# 2 x 36 GB scsi 10k rpm
# 4 static IPS (1 for ILO)
# 100 mbs burstable uplink
# 1000 gb monthly transfer
# unlimited remote hands for cold boot
# choice of any OS loaded, customer to provide necessary OS license
# 99.99 network uptime datacenter
# managed firewall
# Data Center - ColoServe

The problem is a I don't really have a use for it :confused4 . I just couldn't let it go for that little with so few other people interested (biding), I mean like it hardly had a chance to go up in price before the action was over. You see I don't have the money to keep paying $50 a month. I'll have no problem paying this month, and maybe even 2 or 3 months after that, but sooner or later I'm going to get tired of paying more for a server then I do for cable tv.

Can anyone like... give me something to do with it. If I'm going to keep it I need to keep the funds out of my wallet like $25 or less each month (just stop playing WoW and add an extra $10). So does anyone want to share it with me, I mean I don't think $25 is bad for half of that. Should be worth it for the 500GB of bandwidth alone. All I'd ask is they be server wize to help me keep it running. It was really advertise as a game server so if no one wants to split it then do you guys think it would be smart to rent out game servers? Would anyone want to go in with me on that?

I'm really in the dark here so please just give me something.

I'd Half it with you, im just wondering if there uptime would be 99.9%+ and the features, such as cpanel? whm? fantastico?

If the server network is truly 100MBPS with a true 99.99% uptime gurantee, I would take it, even with no cPanel. The box at itself is worth more than $50/mo.

I would use it for hosting game servers, it would do very nicely even if there was no control panel (linux, windows server 2003 - recomended for game servers).

All I can say is that was what was advertised. The server is from www.wanplanet.com/ if that helps (I saw they advertised 24/7 phone support)? Well anyways, I won it yesterday and I believe in the three day pay rule when it comes to ebay. So I'll need to know what you guys want to do before then. I really don't want to loss it unless I have to so Marki's way sounds the best so far. No Marki it is just the server for $50 a month. If you still wanted to split it with me we could talk about other options like control panels, etc. If you wanted windows the 180 trial of windows sounds nice and that would give use 6 months to think of something new. Or we could go the linux way for free and think about cpanel and such.

The last big thing would be how would we deal with the split or transfer? I have like good feedback on ebay if someone wanted to do it that way. Well anyway we do it please get back to me soon.

server

Marki said:
I'd Half it with you, im just wondering if there uptime would be 99.9%+ and the features, such as cpanel? whm? fantastico?

features, it doesnt come with features, their choices of OS seem
to be limited to Red Hat Multi-Server, or Red Hat Enterprise Single Server,
and yes, you have to purchase the lic key before they will install.
and extra stuff like cpanel, whm, etc is on the person who has the
server...

its all good...

leads to more questions...

Sirbob80 said:
All I can say is that was what was advertised. The server is from www.wanplanet.com/ if that helps (I saw they advertised 24/7 phone support)? Well anyways, I won it yesterday and I believe in the three day pay rule when it comes to ebay. So I'll need to know what you guys want to do before then. I really don't want to loss it unless I have to so Marki's way sounds the best so far. No Marki it is just the server for $50 a month. If you still wanted to split it with me we could talk about other options like control panels, etc. If you wanted windows the 180 trial of windows sounds nice and that would give use 6 months to think of something new. Or we could go the linux way for free and think about cpanel and such.

The last big thing would be how would we deal with the split or transfer? I have like good feedback on ebay if someone wanted to do it that way. Well anyway we do it please get back to me soon.

something like this only leads to more questions, for $50 you get the box,
im sure they will install OS, im sure they will charge you for doing so.,
who is going to configure the server with all the proper IPs or whatever a dedicated server takes..., how about maintaince? more costs? how about updates/security updates, Cpanel, WHm (if using for hosting), he never stated this was a completely managed dedicated server for $50/mo, you wont find anything like that either... so that $50/mo is just a small tip...then
you find out what it is really going to cost.

You people... your making it sound like these things don't come with the server. They don't charge you to install the OS. That comes with the f..r..e..e.. setup, and you can't really expect cpanel on any server that cheap. I didn't buy this server because it was a normal deal. I got it because everyone else missed it and it went cheap.

Well gotlinks kind of put me off on this entire deal. I mean he puts it down on the forums so no one else is interested then sends me PMs acting all interested himself... WTF, I don't understand it. So if some out there relies the value of this server that's only costing us (as in me, anyone that takes it off my hands, or anyone that shares it with me) $50 a month then please get a hold of my through PM or whatever and we'll try to work something up. If not then tomorrow I'll just take the $50 hit and use it to play around with for a month or something. Don't know what I'll play with but I'll find something stupid.

Thanks a million

Last edited:
your taking it wrong.

Sirbob80 said:
You people... your making it sound like these things don't come with the server. They don't charge you to install the OS. That comes with the f..r..e..e.. setup, and you can't really expect cpanel on any server that cheap. I didn't buy this server because it was a normal deal. I got it because everyone else missed it and it went cheap.

Well gotlinks kind of put me off on this entire deal. I mean he puts it down on the forums so no one else is interested then sends me PMs acting all interested himself... WTF, I don't understand it. So if some out there relies the value of this server that's only costing us (as in me, anyone that takes it off my hands, or anyone that shares it with me) $50 a month then please get a hold of my through PM or whatever and we'll try to work something up. If not then tomorrow I'll just take the $50 hit and use it to play around with for a month or something. Don't know what I'll play with but I'll find something stupid.

Thanks a million

your taking it all out of context, im not a server expert, and you can
expect all these questions from someone getting into this game, and I did
not say I was not interested. If your host puts me on the spot and says I only have 3 OS's to choose from (paid) then yes, I will have to decline, there are a few good unix OS'es out there that are completely free, one of their OS options is Red Hat, and the cheapest one is $350... I can only spring for a free os at this time, and im not sure what all they do and will not do to the server, I know for a fact if it is not managed, then yes, I would be completely reponsible, and I would have to decline on that as well...
I just can not see it being managed for $50., and dont get upset because im asking all these questions, they have to be asked, you have the account, you have already posted on what the server is, now you need to post exactly what other costs a user may have to put into it, otherwise you would just be deceiving someone. Can I have them install a free OS?
are they going to manage it? dont say the buyers final cost is $50/mo
if it was, I would have already gotten it from you...can you guarantee that?

Your asking me stuff that has nothing to do with me. I have already given you the link to there web site and all the info I have. No, the server isn't going to be managed for $50, lol. You shouldn't get a server like this unless you know what your doing. I have no problem trading it over to you but I don't recommend it for you. Great deal or not, you don't seem to understand how servers work, or what to expect for a given price.

That's very inexpensive for such great specs. Either they are getting some great deals themselves, they aren't making a profit, or they are just naïve about the industry.

Sounds like a great deal. The only thing I ever worry about with ebay servers is if they are a fly-by-night deal. You move clients or data to it etc...Then few months the server just disappears. Data --> everything. Would kind of stink. I'd guess it'd be alright for personal use but I wouldn't sell slots on it until you verify the company's reputation etc.

Personally, I would not ever buy a server from EBay. All you have to do is look at other forums (It does not happen much on this forum) where people are buying servers for $20/month, which disappear after 2 weeks.

Also; You have to be careful about what you are actually getting, because another person brought a cPanel server on EBay and the host tried to tell them that WHM was not included with cPanel, it was an add-on, and they would have to pay $1,000 to set it up (Yeah, crap)

Just be careful. But $50 for duel exon server is a TGBT (Too Good to Be True) offer, and they normal always end badly.

Rackmounted.com has a nice $64/month server. It has similar specs for about the same price. You should check them out if you find an actual use for a server.

Back