• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

how do I speed up my connection?

Daniel

Megalomaniac
NLC
I have dsl, the download is 960kbps and the upload is 130kbps. I want to know how can I make my upload speed faster?

you can't make your upload faster. But you can make your download faster by making your tcp rwin bigger.

Your TCP Rwin (TCP Recieve Window) is like a pipe. The bigger you make it, the more data that can pass through it. I have cable and w/o adjusting my TCP Rwin, i get around 800kbps down. By adjusting it, I get 2000kbps down.

To adjust it, goto www.dslreports.com and on the left click Tools and than select Tweaks. here's the exact URL:

http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

Originally posted by robert
you can't make your upload faster. But you can make your download faster by making your tcp rwin bigger.

Your TCP Rwin (TCP Recieve Window) is like a pipe. The bigger you make it, the more data that can pass through it. I have cable and w/o adjusting my TCP Rwin, i get around 800kbps down. By adjusting it, I get 2000kbps down.

To adjust it, goto www.dslreports.com and on the left click Tools and than select Tweaks. here's the exact URL:

http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

Thanks....

If I buy my own dsl modem(rather than renting it from my isp), would I get faster speeds?

Yes and no. Some modems transfer information a little faster, while others perform better. Your best bet would be to purchase a modem that is comptaible with your ISP. Contact them for which modems are. In the end it'll be cheaper if you add up the monthly cost of renting it.

Originally posted by robert
Yes and no. Some modems transfer information a little faster, while others perform better. Your best bet would be to purchase a modem that is comptaible with your ISP. Contact them for which modems are. In the end it'll be cheaper if you add up the monthly cost of renting it.

I know it would be cheaper. I will contact them. Thanks.

How do I speed up my 56k connection? I hate downloading at 5kb/s, well that's not the problem really... the problem is when am downloading something, I can hardly use a browser and surf the net. :(

Originally posted by Akalon
How do I speed up my 56k connection? I hate downloading at 5kb/s, well that's not the problem really... the problem is when am downloading something, I can hardly use a browser and surf the net. :(

Well, you cant overclock it. The FCC limits your download speed outside of your house to 53k with a dial-up modem and the most you would do is burn up your modem. But there is a registry edit to make your download speed a little faster:

HKCU>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Internet Settings
Create two new DWORD's in the Internet Settings folder
Name one MaxConnectionsPerServer and the other MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server and set both values to a decimal value of 6. Press F5 to refresh the registry and then restart your browser and you should notice a significant increase in your browser speed.

[add]
Thats a zero in MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server after the underscore and not an "o"

Originally posted by phreak888
Mine were at 10 and 8 decimal value.. Is setting it DOWN a good thing?

Only change it if those values arent there or they are less than decimal value 6.

Back