• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

New to domain registration:

allanh

Bankai
NLC
Hi, I am new to domain registration. However, I am thinking about getting one.

Can anyone please tell me what I should be looking for when I register a domain?

How much is a reasonable price for domain registration?

Is there a place where there is no annual fee?

Thanks.

Originally posted by allanh
Hi, I am new to domain registration. However, I am thinking about getting one.
Nice to meet you! :)
Can anyone please tell me what I should be looking for when I register a domain?
A register, they register domains for people like you and me and connect them to your name servers.
$8.99-$39.99 US Dollars a year for a top level ".com",".net" or ".org".
Is there a place where there is no annual fee?
No, or at least I don't think so.
Thanks.
No problem, it will be good to see you around again! :)

Originally posted by }:8) Supermoo
A register, they register domains for people like you and me and connect them to your name servers.
Uh... a "register"? I thought they were called "registrars".
Originally posted by }:8) Supermoo
$8.99-$39.99 US Dollars a year for a top level ".com",".net" or ".org".
Duhh.... she said reasonable, moo... I don't find USD$39.99 being very reasonable.. in fact, domains should be free!!

so, can anyone suggest a good place to register my domain? What I meant about no annual fee is that I can just pay upfront and not charged after that.

so, can anyone suggest a good place to register my domain? What I meant about no annual fee is that I can just pay upfront and not charged after that.

You have two choices: Annual or Free.

Almost all registrars charge annually, though you could pay for 10 years of registration.

Then there are a couple that offer free domains, but the catch is that you don't really own it. It won't be in your name, nor will you be able to transfer the name, etc. It also comes with banner advertsing built in (what a bonus?). I'd stay away from this.

Is there any particular reason why you can't just BUY your domain, but have to pay annualy??

Originally posted by LeX
Is there any particular reason why you can't just BUY your domain, but have to pay annualy??

Because the registars get more $$$ if you have to renew every year.

Back