• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

OpenNIC Project

http://www.opennicproject.org/migrate/linux/ubuntu

Here's the screenies.
1 - Left click your "Network" icon in the taskbar, and select "Manual configuration..." from the popup menu:

ubu1.jpg

2 - Click "Unlock" to allow changes in the window

ubu2.jpg

3 - Input your administrator(root or super user) password and click "Authenticate":

ubu3.jpg

4 - Select the "DNS" tab and click "Add":

ubu4.jpg

5 - Type the IP Address of OpenNIC's DNS and "Close" the window:

(OpenNIC's DNS: )

Place IP Address

AU,QLD 58.6.115.42
AU,QLD 58.6.115.43
FR 82.229.244.191
FR 88.191.51.140
US,AK 216.67.98.38
US,CO 216.87.84.209
US,TX 71.170.11.156

ubu5.jpg

Done! You should now be able to visit the Main OpenNIC Project Site. In addition to other OpenNIC Sponsored Top Level Domains you also have access to all alt-root Peer Top Level Domain as well.

NOTE: If after a certain time o after every reboot, the DNS keeps geting reseted follow theese instructions:

Step 1: Go to Applications->Accessories->Terminal and type:

sudo gedit /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf

Type the sudo password. The file dhclient.conf will open.

Step 2: Go to the end of the file and add the following line to the END of the file:

prepend domain-name-servers DNS1, DNS2, DNS3;

Replace DNS1, DNS2 and DNS3 with the three nearest OpenNIC DNS' to you.

Step 3: Save and close the file.

Step 4: That's all. You may need to restart.

Ibex (Ubuntu 8.10) doesn't have that at all...

Manual Configuration option isn't under the wired connection icon either for me.

Attachments

• IntrepidConnections.png
    IntrepidConnections.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 6
  • NetworkIconLeftClick.png
    NetworkIconLeftClick.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Click Auto eth0 in IntrepidConnections.png, click Edit. I don't use GNOME but that seems logically where the DNS server settings would be.

What are the other options in the "Method" drop box?

Or perhaps uncheck "System Setting", leave it on DHCP, but maybe it'll allow you to access the "DNS Servers" line.

What are the other options in the "Method" drop box?

Automatic (DHCP) addresses only *
Manual
Link-Local only **
Shared to other computers **

* big addresses box cannot be edited, but DNS Servers, Search Domains AND DCHP Client ID can be edited.

** no boxes can be edited

NOTE: If after a certain time o after every reboot, the DNS keeps geting reseted follow theese instructions:

Step 1: Go to Applications->Accessories->Terminal and type:

sudo gedit /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf

Type the sudo password. The file dhclient.conf will open.

Step 2: Go to the end of the file and add the following line to the END of the file:

prepend domain-name-servers DNS1, DNS2, DNS3;

Replace DNS1, DNS2 and DNS3 with the three nearest OpenNIC DNS' to you.

Step 3: Save and close the file.

Step 4: That's all. You may need to restart.

Tried that bit? Restarted after adding them? I admit, I've tried doing it in Windows and it doesn't want to work either.

http://www.opennicproject.org/

Looks interesting. Anybody give it a run yet?
This has been going on a LONG time, and is not really a good idea IMHO. There are already litterally hundreds of domain names (top and second-level); and still .com, .net and .org are the most common, and most meaningful. Too many domain name extentions isn't helpful, I don't think, as it just invites people to make stupid, and meaningless domains.

I like this because it has a feeling of underground to it. I recall that Tor had a similar thing if you used their service, but I didn't use that much because I didn't like the actual idea of Tor itself.

This has been going on a LONG time, and is not really a good idea IMHO. There are already litterally hundreds of domain names (top and second-level); and still .com, .net and .org are the most common, and most meaningful. Too many domain name extentions isn't helpful, I don't think, as it just invites people to make stupid, and meaningless domains.

It's not a good idea to provide an alternative to O' Holy ICANN? The point isn't to provide more TLD's.

Back