• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

[PROJECT] Free webhost (ad-free or post2host)

maximoesje, are you out to gain revenue, or just to provide a stable hosting service and hopefully in the process, you gain some revenue to help cover some of the costs? It is not really that clear to me. ;)
Stable hosting offcourse. We do it for fun. The money we gain should help cover some of the costs...

Stable hosting offcourse. We do it for fun. The money we gain should help cover some of the costs...
In that case, you should go for P2H.

I wouldn't recommend starting out with a free reseller or old computer. If anything goes wrong, it would leave a bad impression of your host on other people. If you want to start out small, go with a paid reseller from a reputable host instead. Otherwise, if you have the confidence that your host will be popular, then start with a VPS or jump directly into a dedicated server.

I personally would recommend you to start with a VPS as it is not that expensive compared to a dedicated server and it would be good for starting out. You may run into certain restrictions or problem with a paid reseller but with a VPS you have more control. Then when you think the time is right, switch over to a dedicated server.

Kwek

why don't you make 2 company on plan packages in free and paid if you're try to balance funds? this way can make adfree packages and ad support packages.

why don't you make 2 company on plan packages in free and paid if you're try to balance funds? this way can make adfree packages and ad support packages.
That gives me an idea.

You could give the users an option to choose between P2H or ad-supported. That way the users could decide which method they prefer and you could generate some revenue off the ad-supported sites to cover some of the costs. You could also offer paid hosting to those people who have the money. That means you are partially a paid host. In my opinion, this is a viable solution. You just have to plan more. ;)

The way to give free or paid is your panel [not space or BW]. Most free hostee give ads free on layered panel packages in other hand they sell cpanel for paid. I'm not agree on rule post2host forever unless you want to get users first and then turn back into instantly sign up when you gain users enough.

Most hostee many believe adfree host always die within months or year. I'm agree that many freehosting with high space offer die fastly [it's not about adfree or not].

btw if you travel on finding on world of adfree web hosting list you'll will find ans why can they run that long. I've hold their information about 2 years past. mostly are Layered panel hosting,instanly sign up. These more less to be found is forums support you can count how many quality LP webhosting that runs adfree and still live than 2 years.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Friends and I thought of providing a mix between direct signup, P2H, ad-supported, ad-free and paid. Something like :
Smallest package : direct signup & ad-free
Medium package : direct signup & ad-supported or P2H & ad-free
Largest package : P2H & ad-supported

And then we'd provide custum made plans : The more you post / the bigger the ads are : the more you get.

And then we'd have another option : payed hosting. By paying you get ad-free and (don't know how I should call this) post-free.

Currently, we're trying to simulate hosting on some old computers. We have 5 old computers running ubuntu server, and we're trying to get them clustered. Once this is finished, we'll simulate free hosting by setting up the control panel and transfer some big files over our 'intranet'.

I wonder what's the best control panel we could use. And are there any open-source control panels (that are good enough)?

Thanks for the replies. Friends and I thought of providing a mix between direct signup, P2H, ad-supported, ad-free and paid. Something like :
Smallest package : direct signup & ad-free
Medium package : direct signup & ad-supported or P2H & ad-free
Largest package : P2H & ad-supported

And then we'd provide custum made plans : The more you post / the bigger the ads are : the more you get.

And then we'd have another option : payed hosting. By paying you get ad-free and (don't know how I should call this) post-free.

Currently, we're trying to simulate hosting on some old computers. We have 5 old computers running ubuntu server, and we're trying to get them clustered. Once this is finished, we'll simulate free hosting by setting up the control panel and transfer some big files over our 'intranet'.

I wonder what's the best control panel we could use. And are there any open-source control panels (that are good enough)?
These are the few good control panels I know of:

VHCS
ISPConfig
Webmin

You may want to check those out.

Kwek

Back