• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Push for a ban?

Schmarvin

Cross Industries
NLC
Is there a way to push for a ban? It's bad that I have to continually report users' posts. They don't follow the rules and the moderators don't seem to care. Yes, a warning is not a bad thing. But within the same week, I see the same people at it again.

Note, I am not stating names in this. Just saying, reporting posts isn't helping lately. New members need to be required to read the rules. I haven't done too hot in the past, but I don't do it constantly. Its at least months in between for stupid things I forget.

New members just to run these forums it seems without regard for the rules or moderators. If not a ban, how bout a suspension for a few months? I mean geez, I know I've reported probably 6 or more posts from just one user and he is still here doing the same thing.

Seems that some are not getting the hits, or small amounts of proportional hit anyway.

If you push for or whatever that would require a thread with a poll :) might be fun.

Don't tend to see mods now, except the odd spam/troll by stuff or a weird teleported in appearance by others, Jan & Peo (in order of gender by tradition only) seem to be the tireless ones left to sweep up.

The newbies don't really get free run, we get the fun of taking the p*ss out of them :D

And if they go on, crush their spirit and soul till they go play in another sandpit.

Don't talk about the useless mods around here OR their absenses unless YOU want to get in trouble.

Sometimes some things have to be said out loud, stuffs made a couple of posts, we might get one here too.

Schmarvin, thanks for reporting abuse to us. From what I understand the member you are talking about has been replying to old threads a number of times. That doesn't warrant an instant ban. We give out infractions and after repeated offences the person will get banned for some time. This is explained in more detail on the rules page.

We apologize for not being here as much as you should expect. We're working on solving this as soon as possible.

Don't talk about the useless mods around here OR their absenses unless YOU want to get in trouble.

As I've explained to you recently in private we appreciate and listen to feedback. Nobody has ever been banned for giving us feedback or criticism. If it's an abusive personal attack on another member (including moderators) that's something very different.

Schmarvin, thanks for reporting abuse to us. From what I understand the member you are talking about has been replying to old threads a number of times. That doesn't warrant an instant ban. We give out infractions and after repeated offences the person will get banned for some time. This is explained in more detail on the rules page.

We apologize for not being here as much as you should expect. We're working on solving this as soon as possible.

As I've explained to you recently in private we appreciate and listen to feedback. Nobody has ever been banned for giving us feedback or criticism. If it's an abusive personal attack on another member (including moderators) that's something very different.

Peo, its not just one member. Its quite a few of the new ones. And if it is tied to the lack of being available, what happened to all the Moderators we used to have?
Infractions are good, but it doesn't seem to deter spam anymore :/

We now have a 60 day limit on closing old threads (changed today). So, some of that problem should go away.

You also have to take into account that we do not agree with every single report that is sent to us. One of your reported posts today for instance. If a reported post is left more than 48 hours it's been looked at and was considered ok. We look into every single report. Usually within 3 hours time. In very rare cases I guess it can take up to 48 hours.

I haven't seen any mods other than stuff on in a long time. Seems like more mods might be needed. I think this was brought up a few months ago, but not much has improved. Jan & Peo have lives, I don't think it is fair to expect them to be on all the time to deal with the spam problems.

We now have a 60 day limit on closing old threads (changed today). So, some of that problem should go away.

You also have to take into account that we do not agree with every single report that is sent to us. One of your reported posts today for instance. If a reported post is left more than 48 hours it's been looked at and was considered ok. We look into every single report. Usually within 3 hours time. In very rare cases I guess it can take up to 48 hours.

Well, with what you said now, a 60 day limit, it should decrease the spam. Now, it should be better. But, a better enforcement of the first 10 posts should be placed. Make sure that new users read the rules. I thought I saw a plugin that requires a user to read the rules before allowing them to register.

I gave several infractions including deleting some posts today. If I see reported posts, I'll try to be pro-active again. There is only one thing reported today I didn't deal with.

But, a better enforcement of the first 10 posts should be placed. Make sure that new users read the rules.

there is a plugin for both.
But people will just spam their website like this dehost.org instead of posting their full URL.
The n00b that wanted us to click on his wordpress site with ads did the same thing. He didn't have 10 posts either, I am right.

I'll try to be pro-active again.

Would be good mate, you know you get a stuffing (pun intended) out of frustration from a load of us.
We all rely on Moderators to do just that, and if your going to be busy you can let the other mods know (hopefully they have time to cover).

Just seems at the moment it's going to hell, and it's upsetting to those of us that have a high regard for this forum.

there is a plugin for both.
But people will just spam their website like this dehost.org instead of posting their full URL.
The n00b that wanted us to click on his wordpress site with ads did the same thing. He didn't have 10 posts either, I am right.

I think I know the post your talking about, and I also think they couldn't figure out why the ad they clicked on their site wasn't part of it. Not everyone knows what is going on.

I'll try to be pro-active again.

Oh just get some fresh meat in here to get things moving again. Inactive staff is never good. It's pretty obvious that from your turnover rate here with moderators that they get burnt out on it after a while. (What ever happened to Supermoo and Chicken anyway?)

Back