• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

question regarding sub domains and folders

GeorgeB

Chairman/CEO TMCG
NLC
I have done this successfully before, but for the life of me, cannot figure out how I did it.

I am using a 3rd party chat software (livezilla) for live support. I want clients to access it just by going to chat.domain.com instead of chat.domain.com/chat.php. I was able to do this before, but some how it all got deleted, and I have it all re installed, but cant remember how I set this up.

can you rename chat.php to index.php? You should be able to do something in a .htaccess file as well. Unfortunately I ma not sure how to set those things up, but there is a plethora of tutorials on the .htaccess deal.

can you rename chat.php to index.php? You should be able to do something in a .htaccess file as well. Unfortunately I ma not sure how to set those things up, but there is a plethora of tutorials on the .htaccess deal.

I tried the chat.php renaming and did not work. Just returns a 404 error

Leave it as chat.php and create a .htaccess file with the following line in it:

DirectoryIndex chat.php

That's the software I was talking about in some helpdesk thread!

my apologies, couldn't remember who it was. Anyway, do you have any experience in it? If so, can you PM? I have it all working, except for one bit, and I have gone through all the settings, and cant figure out what is wrong.

Not go get off topic, but do you have any experience with Trellis Desk? If so, could you PM me?

Have to give you 11 out of 10 for trying George :lol: you probably make more use out of these forums than anyone, seen the Trellis thread, if Deeplist can't help/doesn't have the time, PM me :)

Have to give you 11 out of 10 for trying George :lol: you probably make more use out of these forums than anyone, seen the Trellis thread, if Deeplist can't help/doesn't have the time, PM me :)

Well, I use Google as much as I can, as I like to self teach myself, but unfortunately you do sometimes get to the point where out of the millions of related sites for your inquiry, just don't answer the question at hand.

Some of my friends keep telling me to go to places like IT-technical school, but I am always so busy with work, there is no time. Plus, I don't want to pay thousands of dollars to learn something I can either learn for free, or for minimal cost.

Well the CEO should be educated :D nah kidding I meant it about 11 out of 10, at least you want to learn a bit - and you've known and hit your limits a few times...

So from now on we all post PayPal links for you to pay for replies :lol:

I'll see if I can help, shoot me a PM. I have experience of using it, but I'm no guru about it.

Back