• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

We've upgraded vBulletin to the latest version

Peo

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
We're now on vBulletin 4.1.7. Let us know if you see any errors or missing images. Thanks.

For future reference, downtime during upgrade was about 20 minutes this time.

I just found that the link to UserCP is gone.
Although I am able to get into the UserCP via http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/usercp.php
But I think that should be fix as people will often edit their user profile.

I even found that my avatar is not visible after the upgrade.
But when checked in the UserCP, the avatar is still there.

----------------------------------------------------------
Edit: Avatar visible again after I re-upload it again.
But the UserCP link is still gone.
And I also found that the Forum loading time is very very slow after the upgrades.

Last edited:
Control panel link is back. Looks like it was an error with the phrase for translations or something. The link was there, but empty.

I've noticed some problems with avatars and profile pictures since the upgrade. Apparently it's some sort of bug if you store images in the database. I'll try to look into that a bit more, but hopefully it will be fixed in the next upgrade.

I've noticed one reason the forum load slow at times - the Skype button. I'm changing that (edit: it's been done).

Let's hope the inline moderation has improved!

I have a feeling that will only happen if we move to invisionboard...

I've noticed some problems with avatars and profile pictures since the upgrade. Apparently it's some sort of bug if you store images in the database. I'll try to look into that a bit more, but hopefully it will be fixed in the next upgrade.

I never store them in the database. Have seen really bad things happen that way. Store everything in the images directory. Then when you update, you take the images directory completely out of the picture. Afterward, update the new images manually. vBulletin publishes a change log.

Thanks. I can't remember why it was set up that way, but I'm guessing it's been like that since we installed it the first time in - what was it 2000? There's a nice tool within vB to convert all db images to the images directory (only problem is I need to do some changes to the server for that tool to work). But, what do you mean by "afterward, update the new images manually"?

Yeah, a lot of people store them in the database, and I really don't understand why. Eleven years ago? Who knows? ha ha! Could have been plenty of reasons for doing it back then. :)

The nice thing about having a separate directory is that you can back those things up separately. Database corruptions, etc., aren't going to affect everything. I have personally seen so many forums/images/etc., get destroyed when the database gets corrupted. On any forum, I basically back up the database, back up the entire forum directory (for a lightning fast re-install should something happen), and then back up the images/avatars/etc. directories again separately. Makes it really easy to fix something should an upgrade go awry, and I have had plenty go awry.

But, what do you mean by "afterward, update the new images manually"?

I'll go through the images (for the forum software...vBulletin, for example) and update every image manually, so I know they aren't going to overwrite something I have changed, or some custom image I use for the forum, etc.

So my forum update procedure looks like this:

1) Update Database
2) Update forum files (minus images)
3) Update /images directory.

Yeah, the latest version ;)

My gentle fun poking at PEO was because he spent all sorts of time updating the forum, dealing with upgrade issues, and then a brand new version was released the very next day.

Perhaps something was lost in the translation.

I don't think there were that many problems with upgrading last time. It went really fast and the issues where minor. I'm sure it will be fast to upgrade again, but there's no hurry to do that. We usually don't upgrade right after it's been announced unless it's mainly a security related upgrade.

Back