• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Whats the best configuration for my servers?

theswagbayorg

Allright,
I have 7 total "servers" (just computers I put windows 2008 on...) Here are the specs on each one...

#1 Dell GX620
Intel Pentium 4 3.8Ghz Processor
1Gb DDR2 Ram
80Gb Hard Drive

#2 Dell GX620
Intel Pentium 4 3.4Ghz Processor
1Gb DDR2 Ram
80Gb Hard Drive

#3 Dell GX620
Intel Pentium 4 3.4Ghz Processor
1Gb DDR2 Ram
80Gb Hard Drive

#4 Dell GX620
Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz Processor
1Gb DDR2 Ram
80Gb Hard Drive

#5 Dell GX260
Intel Pentium 4 2.0Ghz Processor
1Gb Ram
80Gb Hard Drive

#6 Dell XPS (this is a laptop)
Intel Dual Core @ 1.8Ghz
3Gb Ram
160 Gb Hard Drive

#7 IBM Think Pad (this is a laptop)
Intel Mobile (something bla bla bla) @ 2.4 Ghz
1 Gb Ram
40 Gb HDD

Ok, so now I need to figure out the best configuration to host my websites. I was thinking of using that IBM laptop as an email server, as its old, and email doesn't require that many system resources. But as for the other 6 servers, I have no Idea. I wanted to have dedicated mysql servers separate from my webservers. Also, im hosting my own DNS records (possible separate server?). Can Anybody just give me some Ideas on how to "divide" the servers?
NOTE: Please do not tell me I dont need 7 servers. I know I really dont "need" them, but I want them. Thanks.

If this is for a web hosting company with which you will be hosting peoples' websites, there is no good way to configure those. Nobody wants to be hosted on Pentium 4's.

If it's for your own websites, I think you're on the right track. Email probably won't be that intensive, so throw that on the slower processor, and the DNS servers on the next slowest. After that, it's a toss-up, as there really isn't going to be much difference between the processors that are left.

Thanks

Thanks bro, and yes, its for my websites. I host my customer's websites in a datacenter called "The Planet" in Dallas, TX. I just wanted to start hosting my websites at home (for various reasons, just more flexability more than anything). :evilb:

Excellent! Yeah, I'd say what I put above is pretty reasonable then. Those computers are really so similar in specs though that it probably isn't going to matter TOO much overall.

I'm surprised they're happy with 2008 server (which of course you have valid licenses for don't you).

5 off Dell GX620 - web servers clustered

Dell XPS (this is a laptop) - mail server

IBM Think Pad (this is a laptop) - DNS

I'll assume you have static IP for your internet feed, and the lot are setup as a PVC inside the router/switch config (or why need DNS unless you have organised sync/replication with a DNS host).

Back