• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

You could go to jail if you put false whois info

If this becomes law, then they better get started building huge jails :eek: There are so many who put in false information. :devious2:

yeah, alot of people put false info because of spam, or privacy

good thing this might only be in the us.. even tho im a us cit..

wonder how they would find out

yeah right. Like they could arrest you for something like that. Sounds more like a commie attempt to infiltrate the internet and make us put all or personal info on the net so its easier to track us(hehe, conspiracy theory anyone?), so as a wise man once told me:

"Pssssh, f**k that"

I am strongly against any attempts to restrict my freedom. Communist activity should be monitored rather, not people trying to be anonymous on the internet.

Originally posted by Giancarlo
I am strongly against any attempts to restrict my freedom. Communist activity should be monitored rather, not people trying to be anonymous on the internet.
Whoa! GC! Stong supporter of the law! I am surprised at you! Anyone registering a domain is required to put in correct info.
Will my name and contact information be publicly available?
Yes. Information about who is responsible for domain names is publicly available to allow rapid resolution of technical problems and to permit enforcement of consumer protection, trademark, and other laws. The registrar will make this information available to the public on a "Whois" site.
Are you saying you have incorrect information in your whois? :eek:

Originally posted by Super8
It would be an American law. How would they enforce it world-wide?
The CNO registry is managed by the US Department of Commerce, therefor by using CNO domains, you bind yourself to those laws - didn't you read the agreement when you signed up for your domain name?

The most likely result of this law would be the loss of your domain when false information is entered into the registration database, and not any sort of jail time.

Laws like this one relieve groups like ICANN of their responsibility to manage policy, and force appeals into the judicial system.

If you think you are immune because you are outside the US think again.

-t

Originally posted by Jan

Whoa! GC! Stong supporter of the law! I am surprised at you! Anyone registering a domain is required to put in correct info.

I am a supporter of the law. So now I could get somebody sending crap to me real address? Unacceptable. This new act would hurt the law for that matter. :rolleyes: Jan, next time think before you speak.

Are you saying you have incorrect information in your whois? :eek:

The info in my whois is old, no longer right.

Originally posted by Giancarlo

So now I could get somebody sending crap to me real address? Unacceptable.
I have never had anything sent to my real address, nor had any weird phone calls to my phone number.

I think you can always use a po box if you are willing to spend money for one. At least that way people browsing your whois won't know your real address and if the police really need to know your address (or for some other reason) then the post office will still give it to them. I also heard that this is also going to become a law for the UK as well.

yeah i use a po box, $40 a year + i can use it for the web and get stuff if needed...

my phone numbe ron my whois no longer works since it was a free voice mail type thing.. :)

Originally posted by Jan

I have never had anything sent to my real address, nor had any weird phone calls to my phone number.

So? My friend had to change his info after he got a ton of phone calls from different companies. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by ideavirus
Any ideas, what they are trying to achieve by maiking this law..??

Its all holy shit...!

Hmmm
I think the idea of making it a law is quite understandable but at the same time the details should be made only visible to special authorities. This hasn't been thought out very well and I personally think that there should also be another law if this was to go in place that the domain registrars must keep the details confidential.

Originally posted by cheatpark
another law if this was to go in place that the domain registrars must keep the details confidential.
registrars can't keep the details confidential, it is under the ICANN argeement that it could be free access by the public

If it was implemented worldwide, I would never register a domain. Invasion of privacy. You know, everyone can call u etc.

Hello
I am a supporter of tightening up the whois accuracy for these reasons:

1. Privacy and secrecy are two different things.

2. Nobody *needs* an internet domain name.
(you can get a subdomain which will do the same things and keep your identity secret - see www.centralnic.com )

3. If you arae against spam then you MUST be in favour of
accurate whois because without a whois system spam can't be traced.

4. Its all academic anyway because your computer has a traceable IP address.
(I traced a fraudster to a school in NJ yesterday even though he had given fake information)

Gordon

Back