• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

CPanel

Status
Not open for further replies.
heymrdj said:
Try the transport layer of the OSI module. Also the FIX protocol is the protocol used for the exchange of financial information. AKA its what makes the "super stock tickers" of Ameritrade and Fidelity and all those.... for lack of a better word.. tick. Oh and if you need a cheap one use QuickFIX (an open source FIX engine), Kinda like FreeVPS, an open source VPS that is 75% as good as Virtuozzo. There is also Xen.

Good use of Google LOL. Actually it's dual layered, Session and Application level. What's important to take into consideration is that because of the dual layered sessions, it's possible to lose packets and fall out of sequence, without losing TCP Packets and not falling out of TCP Sequence.

You can do this behind a CheckPoint Firewall, but Stateful Inspection needs to be disabled, CheckPoint (anyone know the answer to "How much does Checkpoint cost?" or should we cover that with the $30 / month comment that you made about hosting) uses a pre-authorization form of TCP Sequences after the syn-ack.

QuickFIX is exactly that, a quick fix, it's good for installing and "Certifying" FIX connectivity, but not capable of being an engine for producing Tags out of a Trading Floor Networked OMS. With that said, I wouldn't host any websites on a FIX Enabled Server. Just not practical and the FIX Server requires too much on it's own. Hmmm, Kinda like Media Hosting in regards to bandwidth and CPU Power?

You cannot use a DataFeed API into Ameritrade with FIX Connectivity.
Ameritrade doesn't allow that. Please contact Sungard, Royal Blue, Eze Castle, TNS, Bloomberg, Reuters, Thomson, etc for connectivity.

Be prepared to charge your customer $2500.00 per month. (One customer, PLUS OMS and Connecitvity Fees).

I knew the answer, was being a smart---- assuming you wouldn't even give it a shot. But Kudos for the attempt.

I'll let the others reply to the remainder of your posting. You are very good at debating.

1. I don't use google. Noobs use google, real people use wikipedia.
2. This is general knowledge, at least for me.
3. I said try because I've never had to use OSI modules, I've only read about them, so I wouldn't know.
4. i ain't a smart ---
5. You're a good debater as well, a little rough with words, but good.
Believe it or not there are people still using dialup! Not everyone in the world has access to 1.5mb cable connections. I opt out and steer clear of designing media rich websites just due to load times.

Try-hard web designers simply design some crap in fireworks or photoshop, cut it up and put it into dreamweaver not giving any consideration to how it may display on older browsers, resolutions, platform, hardware specs of client machine, and the client internet connection, etc. i wont even get into w3c validation... if you have people waiting at splash screens loading your site or just even 30secs per image your gonna lose traffic. and in the end wat is the general user going to say? "this site is slow!".

I know that. I have a stattelite DSL that is slow (300 kb a sec max) and more often my 19.8kb Dial Up.

Last edited:
heymrdj said:
Try-hard web designers simply design some crap in fireworks or photoshop, cut it up and put it into dreamweaver not giving any consideration to how it may display on older browsers, resolutions, platform, hardware specs of client machine, and the client internet connection, etc. i wont even get into w3c validation... if you have people waiting at splash screens loading your site or just even 30secs per image your gonna lose traffic. and in the end wat is the general user going to say? "this site is slow!".

I know that. I have a stattelite DSL that is slow (300 kb a sec max) and more often my 19.8kb Dial Up.

I don't know ANYTHING about design, I'm a hardware/network guy... So to me, you sound pretty damn good in that arena.

OSI 'modules'?

OSI is an ideal networking MODEL. IMO the OSI model is a waste of time learning in depth. i seriously cant believe you have never needed to refer to it. Ever wondered why they call a Layer 2 or 3 switch a Layer 2 or 3 switch? because they work on layer 2 or 3 of the OSI model.

Layer 3 (network layer) being routers, etc... Layer 2 (datalink layer) being switches etc.

perhaps you should use google... :p

Last edited:
ozefrog said:
IMO the OSI model is a waste of time learning in depth. i seriously cant believe you have never needed to refer to it.

This:
Actually it's dual layered, Session and Application level. What's important to take into consideration is that because of the dual layered sessions, it's possible to lose packets and fall out of sequence, without losing TCP Packets and not falling out of TCP Sequence.

Makes the OSI Model Knowledge extremely important.

I like Cpanel. I have used other control panels, most are just as good. But I am used to Cpanel, so if I ever requested a host here, I always asked for Cpanel, but if they could provide any hosting whatsoever, I would be more than happy to have it. Luckily, I have a great host who gives me everything I need.

OSI is not extremely important to know, unless your managing a datacenter or must connect directly to it.

I like Cpanel. I have used other control panels, most are just as good. But I am used to Cpanel, so if I ever requested a host here, I always asked for Cpanel, but if they could provide any hosting whatsoever, I would be more than happy to have it. Luckily, I have a great host who gives me everything I need.
Thank you cronic 5. Now thats a way to look at it.

I don't know ANYTHING about design, I'm a hardware/network guy... So to me, you sound pretty damn good in that arena.
Was that a copout or a complement. Thats the problems with this topic. No one can tell the mood the person typing is in. He may mean a complement or a declarative statement, or he may be be attacking and derogatory. Can't tell from here. Thank you though if it was a complement. I do try to optimize my code and such.

Last edited:
heymrdj said:
OSI is not extremely important to know, unless your managing a datacenter or must connect directly to it.

Thank you cronic 5. Now thats a way to look at it.

Was that a copout or a complement. Thats the problems with this topic. No one can tell the mood the person typing is in. He may mean a complement or a declarative statement, or he may be be attacking and derogatory. Can't tell from here. Thank you though if it was a complement. I do try to optimize my code and such.

It was a compliment, I never say I can do something that I know I can't... and remember, there's no emotion in text ;)

I'm a fan of cPanel. I really don't see why people need to have cPanel to do their work. True, it's the only real control panel I have used, but I don't need to have it. I'd just as easily use something else to get my work done.

When I first wanted a website, I used free website hosts. The control panel was simple, and I liked it. I moved onto working with more detailed specifics when requesting my website hosts, and finally found a site that offered cPanel. Thought I'd give it a try, and I loved it. Now I use it because of it's ease of use and it's organized layout.

I want to comment on people earlier in the thread talking about people using resellers and making a web hosting organization. Have some people not taken it into consideration that that's how a lot of the best web hosting businesses start out? Perhaps a few people with reseller accounts started their business that way to help get them money to actualy buy a server. I know that's what I'm doing, and although it's not bringing in money right now, I've kept saving with the intent of buying a server within the coming year. To boot, I've been open with my business for a few months now, and I've seen no reason to close down yet. :p

(If I missed anything in this thread, I do apologize. I'm short for time, and didn't have the chance to read all of the 17 or so pages that are in this thread.)

This is really getting to be a long thread. For The Record, I was never one of those that stated a Reseller wasn't a real webhoster, I think someone else did... I just have issues with those trying to sell at an unreasonable price as a reseller.

hottweelz said:
This is really getting to be a long thread. For The Record, I was never one of those that stated a Reseller wasn't a real webhoster, I think someone else did... I just have issues with those trying to sell at an unreasonable price as a reseller.

I believe it was somebody closer to the beginning of the thread. Sure, I have paid plans, and they were expensive at first (as I wasn't sure how to go about pricing the different sized plans), but some of my clients assisted me on that, and hopefully I'm not charging too much now.

the OSI model is theoretically useful for troubleshooting. i vaugly see how it is, but to troubleshoot i'd b referin to other knowledge.

@heymrdj:
nice usage of copy + paste earlier on.

heymrdj said:
Thus ---------- is a good host. We may run off a unlimited reseller, but we provide high quality tech suppot. And if there is a server problem we rely on the IT professionals at the hosting comapny to fix it abruptly (which they do). Tree NC you talk to us like we are more inferior hosts then yuo are. When in actuality who wants to host with a guy when they know that his server is sitting in his basement. The basement is the worst place for a server unless your running a dehumidifier to keep the humidity at a steady 60-70% and are keeping the place at proper temperaturs. (processors can get too hot and too cold. Best temp for a P4 or Xeon is to let it run about 112 degrees. 90 degrees can slow a processor down as well as hitting temps of 130 and up.) Plus your tech support. You are the one man crew of the hosting. If that server in your basement goes down all the guys that are with you are screwed. If you find you don't like the electric bill you can just shut it off at your whim. Not very good.

And you wonder why we think you are an inferior host? The average server temperature should be at 67 degree's with forced air blowing that. Keep this stuff to the DC kids.

Yes a chip has an optimal range temperatue. Its not much, but a too cool processor not being overclocked can lose 1-2% performance because of slower AND/OR Gate reactions. Also utcrazy, that is processor temperature. Unless your running water cooling on an underclocked celeron you won't see 67 degrees on a processor. Especially a high end Xeon or Dual Core Opteron. I build computers so don't try to tell me that I don't know what temperature one can run at. Why you guys keep pulling up my statements? Are you wanting me to explain anything else? This is a slow day for you guys. You dare call me a kid? For goodness sake I'm almost 17 and what is with your weird avatar? Leave computer technology to the professionals kid.

Last edited:
deeplist said:
No, asking for cPanel is not greedy, it is ignorant. It is because they do not know any different. Below is a typical request:

THEN somebody will ask why cPanel is a requirement in their request and they will reply with "because" or "I don't know".

Oh and about this old thing. When I first asked for hosting, I researched all the panels. Cpanel, DA, Enism, Plesk and I CHOSE to use cpanel. Get that word CHOSE. It had the best style, with the features I liked. DA is too simple and really ought not be considered a control panel, Plesk looked too professional, invented by a guy with a major wedgie, so I settled on Cpanel. Now that I am into Cpanel long enough, I think I'm going to give Plesk another chance. I don't know if I'll like ot, but I'd be glad to try it again.

I rather have Plesk than cPanel, but the question is do the host have that control panel?? Cause most host have cPanel then that works also fine.

But I really don't need any control panel I code my own scripts and don't actually need one, but it's a extra if the hosting has a panel to use but I don't really care if they don't.

heymrdj said:
Oh and about this old thing. When I first asked for hosting, I researched all the panels. Cpanel, DA, Enism, Plesk and I CHOSE to use cpanel. Get that word CHOSE. It had the best style, with the features I liked. DA is too simple and really ought not be considered a control panel, Plesk looked too professional, invented by a guy with a major wedgie, so I settled on Cpanel. Now that I am into Cpanel long enough, I think I'm going to give Plesk another chance. I don't know if I'll like ot, but I'd be glad to try it again.
You're right about Plesk, I felt quite out of place when using that. All control panels have something that they're really good for. For example, I find that DA is very good if you're a novice, cpanel and ensim are great for large, multifaceted projects, and zpanel is best all around if you don't find it rational to pay so much for a control panel. Although, I just use ssh.

67 Degrees on a CPU isn't going to happen. The Racks in the Connecticut Data Center sends an email to my pager when the lab my boxes are in hits 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

The boxes in the Colo centers (Iowa/Texas) are just leased anyway so I have no right to tell those guys what temperature to keep each lab at. Although I would hope they keep it nice.

67 Degrees out of any CPU would probably require a 25 Degree room LOL

I agree that CPanel is very, very nice and user friendly, also useful for on-the-fly maintenance, but something like Direct Admin is just as useful. $55 a pop for each Cpanel server is ridiculous. For $55, my control panel better not have typos, bugs, or even an option of a Bleeding Edge edition. They should be ashamed of themselves asking $55 for that software. We pay it, cuz the customer demands it. $15 for DA is by far a better choice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back