• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

CPanel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cpanel is the best system I've ever used.. so is WHM.. :D

But as u said deeplist, people don't care about 25mb disk space, try today around a gig and 50gig bandwidth and unlimited databases ect for free:D

I completely agree with deeplist - people ask for so much and then expect to get it.

I wrote something called Advice on your requests, which said these kind of things, but that has since disappeared from anywhere where anyone would find it.

Some people are just idiots. Cpanel is expensive software. Hosting is expensive.

If you can afford to, get paypal, get a site, build it up, sell it, make some $$, then get some paid hosting for cheap.

Honestly, what people ask for today...

man !
this thread sits here like a hot curry !

but one thing is for sure, neither people like deeplist and treeNC are wrong, and not some teens arguing with them. Its just that they both have "toooo strong" prejudices.

@deeplist, i agree that free unlimited hosting is bullshit. But your "seemingly universal" criticism of resellers annoys me a bit.
Though, I must say, I have learned a lot out of this thread, especially outta deeplist's posts.

I am a 18 yr old guy frm India, doing my graduation, frm a family which can't support a family car.
I can spend some bucks fo getting my hosting, but for sure , not for buying a server. I dislike generally using premade scripts, being a coder myself.

But, I wanted to make big in this field.
So, I got technically strong (HTML, PHP, SQL, ASP , ASP.NET etc.) .

Now, I am working as a programmer with a real hosting company, and in lieu of my work , they are paying me in terms of a reseller account. After eraning some money, I plan to buy my own dedicated server.
I know I cant offer free/unlimited hosting. I know I cant host more than 100 ppl on my 15 GB reseller , and I wont.

I have just given hosting to my some friends as of now, haven't started to go into market yet(online or offline yet).
Because, I have yet to complete online interface for hosting signup, domain registration, support desk etc.
I plan to start somewhere near next week, after completing everything.

I would surely like you to see what I am offering and have your expert advices on it.
Here is the page showing all plans I have decided as of now.
http://www.vivald.com/hosting/compareall.asp

Last edited:
If people are serious about hosting, and feel that they can be successful, then dropping $450 a year for cPanel and about $50 a month for a server shouldn't be a problem. Hosting shouldn't be a hobby. It should be a job. Although sometimes it is a fun thing to do, it needs to be taken more seriously than a hobby.

But your "seemingly universal" criticism of resellers annoys me a bit.

Again I have to stress that not all resellers are bad. There are exceptions to every rule, and some people are the exception. One thing that I have not said before, but I feel it is important. Reselling should be a sort of "limbo" for hosting company owners. People should only resell until a server can be afforded.

My biggest pet peeve is all the kids that come on here and think
that they can get a free account somewhere to use to actually
start their own free service!

One particular poster comes to mind from earlier this week who
wanted "15 to 20 GB of Web Space" for FREE so that they could
start their own "FAST and RELIABLE" FREE hosting service.

Hmm, what's wrong with this picture?

Would you trust a host who in turn gets all their space from a free host?

Pretty scary isn't it?

ok, treeNC , got that you are not against all resellers, I am sorry for my misundertsanding of your previous posts. :)

@amz , perfectly rright, those guys ....
One particular poster comes to mind from earlier this week who
wanted "15 to 20 GB of Web Space" for FREE so that they could
start their own "FAST and RELIABLE" FREE hosting service.

do hosting stuff just for hobby as treeNC said, but certainly , hosting some1's website, making which that other person has done lots of hard work should be a serious business, and not just a "Let's see hobby"

Anyways, glad to see people like you around, but I haven't got answers to my questions. In my previous post, I asked you for some suggestions on hosting service I am going to start. Details are in previous post.
Any advice will be valuable.

Regards
Mittal, Rahul aka Rolly

rolly said:
I haven't got answers to my questions. In my previous post, I asked you for some suggestions on hosting service I am going to start.

I think they are reasonable. Personally, I don't think they are a rip off, and you really aren't offering too much either.

In reply to your previous comments, I acknowledged that there are exceptions for certain resellers. (It is in this thread somewhere.) For those who purchase reseller accounts, manage them properly, and portion out the space reasonably and correctly, then there is no problem with them. I was particularly referring to those who purchase a reseller for around $20 per month, and they give out the space to WAY more clients than it can support, and they get terminated. In doing so, they make the entire hosting community look bad because these "new hosts" can not last for more than a month and they shut down unannounced and disappear. Then as a result, all the people are back on here asking for the same shit again.

I can also see where there is a certain level of irresponsibility on the server admin's part. If they were thinking correctly, there would be a limit imposed on the amount of clients that a single reseller account can support based on the amount of space & BW that was provided. Most fail to do this. So as a result, you have kiddies who get a super cheep 800MB reseller account that would normally support around 6 or 8 end users, and they actually host 80 people with it. When it is all finished, that equals only 10mb per end user. It just doesn’t work.

Thanks deeplist for the review

And yes, I totally agree with whatever you have said. I have myself suffered at the hands of such free hosts, when I was on a free host.

I'll try to be as responible host with my reseller as I can.
And yeah, I'll be bugging you time and again for support and guidance.
:)

No problem at all. I would rather see new hosts ask questions to avoid issues rather then just assuming they already know the correct way to handle things.

I felt like I needed to bring this topic back up again, seeing how there's been a rash of free reseller requests lately. "Free Reseller, you keep profit?" is one of the threads. What a great host he's going to turn out to be. You can tell.

man !
this shocks !
problem is not he age of kids.
problem is their way of doing things.
free reseller ? huh !

you'll even find many requests here for a free dedicated server.

these people argue, that they dont have money, but have lotz knowledge.
so, why don't they take it this way around ......
1. work as a freelancer and then "Afford" a reseller
or
2. work with some hosting/development and in lieu get a reseller and some wages too (wages won't be much for a kid though)

2nd option is the one i am upto, and its going great for me.

Regards
Rolly

Wow... This topic went on forever and ever and ever... I only read six pages of it, but I got the jist of it. I think it's time for my opinions:

The Best Panel
I'd say the best panel is cPanel and WHM. Every host I have been with, the exception being Tripod when I was just starting out years ago, has had cPanel installed. Therefore, for me it's a comfort factor. However, I wouldn't mind switching if I knew another was better. What really makes cPanel worth it, though, is WHM. WHM takes care of so many server processes that makes server management that much easier. With some degree of WHM automation, I can focus more on aspects of running my host other than the technical.

Cream Puffy Host (sp?)
Nice find, whoever did post that.

"Kiddie Hosts"
I think that there are many hosts out there that some would deem "kiddie hosts" even though they work hard and are extremely dedicated to their work. They take their own money, invest in a reseller, VPS, or dedicated, and work genuinely to make it in the industry. We all know that it's not easy to be a host and it's definitely not easy to break even every month. They put in a lot of work into their business (because that's what it is) and make their business succeed. Of course, then, there are the 1337 h4xx0rssssss out there who think they can get rich quick and become sup3r sw337 h0st. To put it bluntly, they suck.

Free Hosts
A host can't survive being free alone without any income. The one exception I can think of is a dedicated person with extra income that just does webhosting as a service. A host needs ads, forum posting, or restrictions of some sort. However, I hate hosts that decide where to put ads for you. If I'm going to display a host's money making machine on my space, I want to decide where it fits best. Usually if they give me that liberty, I'm kind enough to display it prominently almost as a sign of pride. But gone are those days for me... Now, I am the free host, but I also offer paid hosting as well. Currently, my free hosting clients make up the majority but the paid hosting clients can make up for any losses. One reason, I believe, that my free clients are so "cooperative" if you will is that I use an application system to weed out the freeloading noobs before they are even hosted by me.

Reseller Accounts
I don't think there is anything wrong with having a reseller account. It is more economical and cost-effective to have a reseller account. Personally, I start out with a VPS, because I already knew the ins and outs of webhosting from being an active participator within my old webhost, and I wanted a challenge.

My two cents... I know it's an old topic, but I felt inspired to write something.

Yes I see a lot of hosts around lately. I for one do not own any reseller accounts my company's uses there own servers. Currently we don't own a datacenter but we have our own servers. We work at being a host very very hard we have a good staff of people and try our hardest. We are a new host I guess you could say been around almost a year but we are not planning on going anywhere and growing everyday. I myself have also seen a lot of these free reseller requests etc and ignore them. It is a waste of time if you don't have the money to start a company them what will you do in the future. Anyways thanks.

This just dawned upon me and I'd thought I'd make note of it. Some, earlier in this thread, complained about companies like godaddy and some here that care about making a profit. They stated that those companies are greedy and that it is better to go with a nonprofit host. Well, who stays up longer? Who has less downtime and better quality? Obviously, hosts such as godaddy and those who make a profit. These hosts have motivation for providing excellent services. Non-profit hosts have no motivation to stay alive except for their love of hosting people. What happens when that runs out?
I do acknowlege all hard working non-profit hosts on this forum and relize that this is a very general statement and not true in all cases.

Well I think so many people are attracted to Free Hosts is because you need credit for a pay-pal account and in this world send money through the mail is a sure way to get ripped off. So there arent many options left, as time goes by the age where web design starts seems to get younger and younger. I commend most free hosts, even if they are short lived, their purpose is to provide easy affordable experience in web design.

euk-damien said:
I like cpanel it is RELIABLE, easy to use, gives a lot of flexibility to the user & have a great user interface. :classic2:

reliable is not on the top of keywords to use for Cpanel. i only use Cpanel because it's the best control panel out there, it has more functionality than anything else. but because they put so much in it and upgrade it so often, there are always bugs.

GamePhreak said:
I'd say the best panel is cPanel and WHM.
For beginning users, and those who do not need the flexibility that managing a website in the Shell offers, cPanel is a great panel. However, I've found it to be buggy at times, and limits the amount of things that you can do.

GamePhreak said:
even though they work hard and are extremely dedicated to their work. They take their own money, invest in a reseller, VPS, or dedicated, and work genuinely to make it in the industry. We all know that it's not easy to be a host and it's definitely not easy to break even every month. They put in a lot of work into their business (because that's what it is) and make their business succeed.
Some may, but lack the technical knowledge that hosting requires. Some may have never heard of Linux, Unix, HP-UX, AIX, etc. Some don't even know what OS their server runs on. If they do have a VPS, they may tout that they have a 5000 sq. foot datacenter. Or resellers may even tout this inaccurate statistic. If a problem arises, and it has a technical root, clients will blame them for not fixing the problem, when all they have done is submit a support ticket to their DS, VPS, or reseller provider.

Again, as with every rule, there are exceptions.

GamePhreak said:
A host can't survive being free alone without any income.
One reason, I believe, that my free clients are so "cooperative" if you will is that I use an application system to weed out the freeloading noobs before they are even hosted by me.
I agree with you on almost every point you make there. If hosts want to display a 768 x 90 banner at the top of every page of your site, they have the right to do it. The client should feel privileged that they have free hosting. Not making demands as to how the host should or should not conduct business.

GamePhreak said:
I don't think there is anything wrong with having a reseller account. It is more economical and cost-effective to have a reseller account. Personally, I start out with a VPS, because I already knew the ins and outs of webhosting from being an active participator within my old webhost, and I wanted a challenge.

If a reseller is managed right, there is no problem. But the problem that some people come into is that it is a 15 year old kid who knows nothing about what he is reselling. Some may be good, most are not so good.

Man, I must've been really bored when I wrote this...

deeplist said:
Currently I run the lastest version of Plesk 7.5 reloaded. The features are remarkable. and it has yet to crash on me or let me down. The majority of people have only used one CP so how can they say it is the best?
True. I have found Plesk to be extremely reliable for my hosting company. Its not eye-candy for the end user, but IMO its the most reliable.

And I have run and operated cPanel before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back