• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Does reselling dedicated servers require a Legal Company Name?

MaT22

Basicly I was wondering if to be able to resell servers from other companies, do you have to have a Legal Company Name?
By legal company name I mean a registered company.
When I went looking around the place I just had a look at the signup form at ThePlanet.com and they require you to have a legal company name, but does this apply to all companies which sell servers? Or is it possible to resell without a registered name?

if you are making profit, yes.
and ThePlanet, i noticed that too. So you do, they will do a background check on your company.

if you are making profit, yes.
and ThePlanet, i noticed that too. So you do, they will do a background check on your company.
Thanks for the response. It seems to be quite expensive to register a small company in the USA :(.

No, this is a misconception. For a company name if it is required on a form then fill out your name if you wish to trade as an individual, your name can be a company (type) name.
It's conventional to put T/A at the begining of the company name part if it's your name which simply stands for Trading As

Thanks for the response. It seems to be quite expensive to register a small company in the USA :(.

LLC is around $200.

Not that expensive, considering that if you are serious, you should be putting at least 10 times that as a minimum upfront just to start up.

LLC is around $200.

Not that expensive, considering that if you are serious, you should be putting at least 10 times that as a minimum upfront just to start up.

Thanks for that, I actually thought it was more expensive. I must of miss understood something.

No, this is a misconception. For a company name if it is required on a form then fill out your name if you wish to trade as an individual, your name can be a company (type) name.
It's conventional to put T/A at the begining of the company name part if it's your name which simply stands for Trading As

Thanks for letting me know about this, its very usefull as I wasn't sure and from the reply I got above I thought I wouldn't be able to at all.

Edit: I have found the application form for an LLC in the state the company will be based in and I'm not to sure which one to register.

Link: http://www.wvsos.com/business/services/formindex.htm

Options:
Code:
Limited Liability Company 
LLD-1 Articles of Organization -- Domestic 
LLD-2 Amendment to Articles of Organization 
Reporting LLC Annual Report 2005 or Termination/Cancellation in Lieu of Reporting 
LLD-8 LLC/PLLC Annual Report 2008 
LLD-9 Articles of Termination -- Domestic 
LLD-10 LLC Reinstatement 
LLF-1 Application for Certificate of Authority -- Foreign 
LLF-9 Certificate of Cancellation -- Foreign 
LLD-F-1 Articles of Correction -- Domestic and Foreign 
LLD-F-2 Statement of Dissociation -- Domestic and Foreign 
LLD-F-3 Statement of Conversion -- Domestic and Foreign

I'm not to sure but I think its the LLD-1 one.

Other then this, I have also found www.business4wv.com in which I have found a form to register a company name:

http://www.wvsos.com/forms/business/2004/nr-2.pdf

And I have also found a Trademark application: http://www.wvsos.com/forms/business/2004/nr3.pdf

I kind of got myself confused here now, but would the best option be to fill out the two forms that I have just posted above?

Last edited:
No problem :) it's not a long term option though, 1st year maybe 2nd if you start to have employees that can only be on them being on a self employed basis (basically subcontractors).

It looks like a minefield but can be kept simple to start with, first point of call though is always your local tax office, get the info on your proposal from them regarding your standing for that.

No problem :) it's not a long term option though, 1st year maybe 2nd if you start to have employees that can only be on them being on a self employed basis (basically subcontractors).

It looks like a minefield but can be kept simple to start with, first point of call though is always your local tax office, get the info on your proposal from them regarding your standing for that.

Thanks, I will use this information for later because currently my host is a bit to small in order to be registered, so it would be quite pointless and expensive. I think I may continue for a few more months and then register around September/November so by then hopefully I will have some sort of income.

Also you can go straight to the secretary of states office. I know many friends/jerks here that I know have done it themself.

You are talking about reselling shared services, right? What about reselling dedicated servers any difference? I have spent time studying serverpoint.com dedicated reselling, they seem to offer no form at all...

You are talking about reselling shared services, right? What about reselling dedicated servers any difference? I have spent time studying serverpoint.com dedicated reselling, they seem to offer no form at all...

When reselling shared hosting you come into alot more level 1 issues (where is ftp what is ftp) Your not going to make a living right away of of shared.

selling Dedicated requires alot more securety wise. If you do not feel confortable secureing a server and dealing with problems then this isn't good for you. Theres also alot more risks involved such as chargebacks and fraud.

sole proprietorship was around $75 a few years ago when I did it here in pa. the paperwork is relatively simple, so a lawyer isn't needed. llc or corp, I'd recommend a lawyer's help.

sole proprietorship was around $75 a few years ago when I did it here in pa. the paperwork is relatively simple, so a lawyer isn't needed. llc or corp, I'd recommend a lawyer's help.

Well I would prefer a partnership over a sole proprietorship, but what about the liability? If I get sued, won't I be screwed over?
If I would fail and the business would go down, would they take my property and auction it off? I'm only 16 and I do not want my property getting auctioned off.

Well I would prefer a partnership over a sole proprietorship, but what about the liability? If I get sued, won't I be screwed over?
If I would fail and the business would go down, would they take my property and auction it off? I'm only 16 and I do not want my property getting auctioned off.

If you get sued you have 2 options - pay up or defend it.

If you can't do either it will depend on the legal status of the claim against you and your property may be poinded and sold to pay your debts.

At 16 what are you going to lose - your iPod and your bike? And it may be your partents that have to pay up. If it gets to the stage of being sued you've done someone wrong so you will have to take responsibility for that.

As for preferring a partnership, your not off the hook. Your partner could screw you over and leave you with debts too.

Hmmm, I reckon that an LLC would be a better option then. I would have to pay tax for the company itself, but at least I have unlimited liability.

Hmmm, I reckon that an LLC would be a better option then. I would have to pay tax for the company itself, but at least I have unlimited liability.

You mean limited liability :wink2:

Also not sure if at 16 you can become head or even exec or director status of a company.

Back