• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Free Hosting Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by the elf
Are we going to sit here and nit pick about what's free and what's not?? Nothing is FREE, NOTHING!!!! We (hosts) find ways to MASK it as free.

ah, exactly!!!! It is only right for any users to assume that webhosts do get benefits out of hosting them!!!

Therefore, it becomes a business relationship instead of a charity relationship. Therefore, the customer (note that I use this term now) would have every right to make demands and criticisms.

Originally posted by allanh

ah, exactly!!!! It is only right for any users to assume that webhosts do get benefits out of hosting them!!!

Therefore, it becomes a business relationship instead of a charity relationship. Therefore, the customer (note that I use this term now) would have every right to make demands and criticisms.

Wrong. They’re not a customer, they don't pay. The advertisers do. When they start to pay a monthly fee, then that's the day they can bitch about the service. If anyone is a customer, it's the *advertiser*.

Look at the cost of Internet connections, servers & admins, then look at the income from ads. If you know what you’re talking about, then you'll understand my point. Hosts don't get anything out host hosting users other then debt and more stress. This is why hosts like me get pissed off. I've sat up countless times until 6 AM trying to make the free users of my super service happy. Every single time I have, I have always been thanked (if they mean it or not). If the person said "took to long" or some other insult, I'm the person that pays the bills, I'm the person that's putting in 8 hours overtime and all you have to say is "took to long" <bitch slap to the head and a kick in the --->. All the big boys are backed by million dollar companies. Most the hosts here are backed by small paid hosting services.

From day one it's a business relationship. If it's not, it won't last very long. It's just a "charity" business relationship that's all.

Wrong. They’re not a customer, they don't pay. The advertisers do. When they start to pay a monthly fee, then that's the day they can bitch about the service. If anyone is a customer, it's the *advertiser*.

Look at the cost of Internet connections, servers & admins, then look at the income from ads. If you know what you’re talking about, then you'll understand my point. Hosts don't get anything out host hosting users other then debt and more stress. This is why hosts like me get pissed off. I've sat up countless times until 6 AM trying to make the free users of my super service happy. Every single time I have, I have always been thanked (if they mean it or not). If the person said "took to long" or some other insult, I'm the person that pays the bills, I'm the person that's putting in 8 hours overtime and all you have to say is "took to long" <bitch slap to the head and a kick in the --->. All the big boys are backed by million dollar companies. Most the hosts here are backed by small paid hosting services.

From day one it's a business relationship. If it's not, it won't last very long. It's just a "charity" business relationship that's all.

ah, but if you don't host anyone, how do you get your "real" customers? Therefore, you can't discount your users as not being customers.
I don't have problem with hosts that offer limited features, since it's the users who do the choosing. However, if it comes to a point where the users can not discuss hosts within themselves ( just because hosts don't like been criticised), then I think this world is pretty pathetic.

And if it is so bad to host people, who do it at all? No one is forcing anyone else to be a host. You can't expect others to believe that there is no benefit behind any action.;)

ah, but if you don't host anyone, how do you get your "real" customers? Therefore, you can't discount your users as not being customers.
I don't have problem with hosts that offer limited features, since it's the users who do the choosing. However, if it comes to a point where the users can not discuss hosts within themselves ( just because hosts don't like been criticised), then I think this world is pretty pathetic.

Who said I wanted to have any of my free users as actual paying customers? I want my customers to find my paid service because they looked or were told about it from somebody, not because it was there. May sound stupid, but true. And if they are with me for free, they'll take it for what's it worth until they can't no more, and if they do make the move from free to paid, who says they will stick with me??

Users can (bitch) up to a limit. And I think this thread is dedicated to such, finding a limit as to what "users" can bitch about.

Facts:

They don't pay
They never lost anything
They bitch about slow servrs
They whine about down servers
<add other bitches here>

And the solution to this whole problem is $2.25 a month. I bag of chips and a pop costs more then $2.25, and that's for a whole month. The cost of a pizza, a WHOLE YEAR!! geez :rolleyes:

nice arugment and i have to agree, but i do think some people have missed the piont. I've read about the first 2 pages of this post and i have to agree with the many options the have been shared. I'm not going to summurised the whole arugment but i think may have missed one piont. Many n00bies don't realised the cost behind such free hosts, exspecially people who are new to the since. i mean i myself don't know the large about the money invovled until i looked at paid hosting myself. :rolleyes:
I recently decided i have a good look into paid hosting and getting a domain name. i couldn't belive what the costs where behind it all. Too keep a long story short, i don't thing many understand, they take whats free for granted and thats about it. so if your a newbie please go out and have a look at paid hosting and see exactly whats behind it all. i think you'll be peasantly suprised, the thankful for what is really been offered for free. :)

And if it is so bad to host people, who do it at all? No one is forcing anyone else to be a host. You can't expect others to believe that there is no benefit behind any action.;)

There is no benefit. Please tell me what you think is a benefit. Because we make money off the ads?? Like I said before, it's a business. Every business has costs, so to pay these costs, we use banners. I don't know why you think the "user" is a customer because we try to pay the bills with ads. Like I said before, we mask the cost to make it free for the user. Now, since they don't pay, they have no reason to whine about a free host at all. Why, because it never cost them anything to begin with.

It's like getting a free pop yet bitching "it's warm".

then why do you start the service in the first place? Don't tell it's out of the "goodness" of your heart because such thing does not exist.

there must be a profit somewhere to be made, otherwise an industry (eg free webhosting) will not exist.

then why do you start the service in the first place? Don't tell it's out of the "goodness" of your heart because such thing does not exist.

there must be a profit somewhere to be made, otherwise an industry (eg free webhosting) will not exist.

Regardless why I started my service, the user has no right to whine for something they never paid for and if you can't understand that, then well... I donno.

On the super service (what people use), there are no ads. So, like I said, there is no benefit (for me).

Even if there was a small benefit, it only covers what the user uses. So again, the user is not a customer. The term "customer" should only be used when you make something off the user i.e. profit. Most of the free hosts don't turn a large profit (if they had to pay an admin, no profit).

Again, for the last time I hope because I'm getting sick of saying it over and over again, regardless of what the hosts gets out of it, you don't have any right to whine because it never cost you anything.

And whatever the host gets out of the deal is no concern of the users since all they care for is the price tag, which we give them. I would like to see you start a free host then you'll understand the problem more.

I'm done in this thread as it's going nowhere. Users think they have a right to bitch about something they never paid for, yet think because the service is free, so is our time, servers, and internet connections. All I have to say to people like that is grow up. They also seem to think that because we make money off the ads which almost never pay the bills, that makes them a customer. If I ever win a free trip, I'll make sure to bitch about all the small things (like no Ice, and where is the beer) then be happy to even have the trip in the first place. I never paid for the trip, so I CAN'T BITCH about it, AT ALL.

Good bye :)

Regardless why I started my service, the user has no right
to whine for something they never paid for and if you can't understand that, then well... I donno.

Good bye :) [/B]

fine. You have your view and others have theirs. Since you can't understand a customers' views or can't even give a stuff about them, I am not here to convince you the best way to do business.

fine. You have your view and others have theirs. Since you can't understand a customers' views or can't even give a stuff about them, I am not here to convince you the best way to do business.

I'm not about to take business advise from somebody that calls free users "customers" okay. I've been running my hosting service for almost 7 years, and I'm sure my views are correct.

Most of the hosts here have the same views as me, and most of the users agree with you, so.. where did this get us?? Nowhere.

"can't even give a stuff about them" did you mean that we (hosts) don't care about the users.. Well, for the most part I don't care about them. If they had the chance to back stab me, they would. No question they would. If they bitch about a free service, this just shows you how greedy people really are. The title "customer" is reserved for people that pay out of pocket, not via thrid parties. Unless you pay, you have no right to whine about the service. If you think you do, then pay.

Maybe another host can pick-up where I left in the battle. I'd hate to waste a warning on you. :p

For real now, cya.

:D

i have to agree with allanh, over all there must be a market for free hosting otherwise why do these hosters put up with this shameeless abuse.

also i thought this was a forum where us,users/customers could talk about the hosts, including the good an the bad
which means what ever they offer, and why we dont like it.

maybe the free hosters could have a seperate section to complain about us users/customers.

i myself feel im providing a free service to the hosters and thier not out of any money and look how they complain about my service. lol.

maybe this topic should be locked than,
users/customers on one side of fence
freehosters/profiteers on the other side
like talking about religion.goes no where
and opinions.we all know what they say about that!

Last edited:
Originally posted by we647
i have to agree with allanh, over all there must be a market for free hosting otherwise why do these hosters put up with this shameeless abuse.

Because they believe the internet should be free! Tony Holmes of Crosswinds said that himself, for example. This doesn't mean that free hosts have to support CGI, MySQL, domain hosting, 1+ mb files, hotlinking, forums, coldfusion, ASP, and any other crap that I don't use but everyone in these forums seems to want. I don't even use server side scripting, even if the host offers it - that's how I get around paying for hosting, by never using what my site doesn't really need.

Last edited:
im like you cracker, i dont ask or demand anything.
my biggest file i use for my site is just under one meg. if they need it ill send it thru the mail,
but alot of gifs and stuff are hard to get down to 25 k, more so if there animated

.if i need something ill go find it,than post it here or others places if others can use it.

most of the abusers are not posting on forums, i think we all know that.

but what gets me, because of a few hosters dont like critizim thier trying to tell us the rules of the game. it wont work.

this is the users part of the forum

Many people have missed the entire point of my thread, including allanh! :(

I am 100% with the elf when he says that the free users should not be refered to as "customers" that is very false.

Allanh I don't see you hosting anybody so how would you know any of the costs and time in running a hosting business. You seem just like one of the rest. :rolleyes:

I prefer to look at my free users as "clients" not customers! :angry2:

The "customers" I get are the ones that PAY me to design or host their site. They, allong with the very small amount from ad revenue, are the ones who cover the expenses every month. The free users are not in it at all. Since I do not force ads on them, they are not generating me anything!

And how are you, allanh to say why I host users for free in the first place!? I do it because I am nice, and I hate to see a nice site suffer because they REALLY do need free hosting.

What I really hate it to see people like you whine about things like this, especially when you are not even going to use the services anyway! Then you go and whine to somebody else when the tables are turned. :devious2:

Originally posted by we647
this is the users part of the forum

Like any good fight, it's best to get both sides of the story. If no hosts came here, then all it would be is a trash talking, host bashing forum. Having the "actual" hosts here, make the poster word the message very well and may make them a little more nicer. People always give shit to hosts for not acting professional, well, the user ALSO has to act the same. You can't expect a host to act professional when some 14-16 year old punk walks up to him and starts to talk BS in his face, do you?

I'll act professional up to a limit, and when you cross that limit, you better hope your mommy and daddy are around! That may seem un-professional, but that's the truth. You can only poke somebody so long before they smack you, you know? The poking here is bashing/bitching, and you can poke/bash/bitch up to a limit, and not everyone understands that. They think because it's free, they have a right to it. Well, hate to burst your bubble, but being hosted in a free host is not a right, it's a privilege and not paying for it, gives you almost no right to bitch at all. The only people that will stick up and/or bitch, are just plain greedy. If they think they have a right to bitch, go pay the $2/month. Until you lose money out of your own pocket, you have nothing to bitch about. It's free!

What a long thread!

I just read all 6 pages from the start, and there have been a lot of good debates going on in this thread.

Well I wouldn't call my free users a customer because they don't pay me or benefit me in anyway besides giving me more hits to my gaming site. And I do think that it is pointless to debate whether free users have the right or not to complain, b/c they will regardless of the outcome. I do free hosting mainly to help people, the secondary objective is to gain hits to my gaming site. I don't make money from my gaming site, I have it as a hobby for myself. I do expect complaints from some users because that is just human nature. Valid complaints will be reviewed, moronic complaints will be deleted and forgotten. I think what us free hosts can hope to gain from this thread is a little slack from users, and a bit of understanding of what it is like to be a free host.

And so ends my little rant... :eek:

And I highly agree with both of you. People always seem to think that us free hosts benefit from them. Well I got news to all free users . . . WE DON'T! Or if the host chooses to put an ad on the pages then they may benefit a small amount, but that IT!

They always think that we host people for free because it is a profit maker and that is about 95% false! I host people because it makes me happy to see a small site or business succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back