• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

PuTTy [Need Help]

this is getting exciting
I totally forgot about rar on linux

question again: how to rar the folder?

I only do this one
Code:
cd /home/you/rar
wget -q http://rarlab.com/rar/rarlinux-3.6.0.tar.gz
tar xzf rarlinux-3.6.0

Edit: ah... forgot to read the help :p rar -a "folder name" will do

I'm on shared host so I don't think I can add it to the system, and also I'm dropping my vps this month

btw about tar-ing into few part someone mention this
You can create multi-volume tar. man tar, and then lookup -M option.
what's the command if I want to tar a folder into few part?

Last edited:
I dunno, I never use it, type rar -help @ shell to get the commands, or read the docs that accompany it .....

EDIT: Actually, there's not really a lot of point, youre still gonna have trouble unpacking them on a windows machine, you may as well stick with RAR archives, they more or less universal.....

try tar -xzvf filename.tar.gz works better ;)

it even suggests doing it that way on a few sites

As far as rarring the folder

try:

rar a -o+ -r -m5 -rr[Number up to 524288] file.rar final_file.rar

does that work?

Last edited:
only difference is "v" which means verbose, leaving it off just stops output to shell, he meant that the rar process gets killed while packing, and that's probably becuase most hosts do not allow background processes .... or could be something else, but it's not the v

My guess with it being such a large file the processor usage is spiking and your on a host...possibly a VPS? That is killing the process due to the processor usage for the sustained amount of time.

stuffradio said:
try tar -xzvf filename.tar.gz works better ;)

it even suggests doing it that way on a few sites

As far as rarring the folder

try:

rar a -o+ -r -m5 -rr[Number up to 524288] file.rar final_file.rar

does that work?
I already delete the rar folder...
I'll try it again later... ( but tell u the truth I'm to scared to try it again)
but I guess yeah, rar processing seems use to much CPU (btw I'm packing folder 100MB, not 1GB)
suddenly raised from 0.9 to 4-7.x

btw question again w/ WGET

how do I get files if the files in the folder are passworded ( i have username & password)

Back