• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

VBulletin OR Invision Power board (IPB)?

for starters, this is the COMPLETELY wrong forum, not a very good thing for a representative of a host to do at a HOSTING forum.

this should be in the scripting forum, and vbulletin is better.

huh

IPB > phpBB

for me

// edit
When it was free
now vBul > IPB

Last edited:
It's all personal preference. I personally think the UI for vBulletin looks like crap, so my forum uses Invision Board. Now that Invision Board has gone paid, I cannot give it the automatic recommendation I did back then. Both boards are loaded up with features, but vBulletin has a bit more. Invision Board usually takes less server resources.

I would say vB for paid but I'd take phpBB2 free anyday. I don't really use the advanced features anyways.

IPB is the worst script ever conceived, 1 in 3 IPB boards I am/have been registered to has had a problem of some sort (mainly logging in or staying logged in)... For that reason, I will never sign up to another forum that use IPB, offensive piece of garbage.

So yeh, if u have the money for vB, thats ur board... otherwise phpBB... even get an 8yo kid to script a forum for you before considering IPB. 'nuf said!

I've considered both in the past (when I was looking to buy one, this was december 2004). I decided to go with vBulletin and I am a happy user/licensee, I get access to vB Hacks and templates (since they have vBtemplates and vB.org), after a month I noticed that IPB (the one I was considering a while after) has changed their Policy again. I'm happy that I didn't went with them, they raised their prices and now you pay more for it (owned). I couldn't be happier to have a suppor response in less than an hour from vBulletin.

If you want quality affordability and a software that doesn't change their policy like underware, go with vB...

Also, most people don't like IPB now since they promised FREE software for life, and now they have come to this.

bozley05 said:
IPB is the worst script ever conceived, 1 in 3 IPB boards I am/have been registered to has had a problem of some sort (mainly logging in or staying logged in)...
Don't blame the webmaster's noobness on the script.
If he can't properly configure his forum's cookie settings its his fault, not the forum's. Therefore your argument has no valid weight to me. :wink2:

I still use the old free ipb and am satisfied. Tho I'd switch to vBul anyday :)

Wojtek said:
Don't blame the webmaster's noobness on the script.
If he can't properly configure his forum's cookie settings its his fault, not the forum's. Therefore your argument has no valid weight to me. :wink2:

I still use the old free ipb and am satisfied. Tho I'd switch to vBul anyday :)
you will need to someday (unless you choose phpbb2), unless some dedicated people develope a free version of Ipb further on with more updates under a different name of course, some instances of this happening are with linux Red Hat to fedora....

mmk, I use the old IPB because I prefer it over phpbb. BUT, I dont want to spend any money on a forum software now, thus currently not upgrading to vBul.

is phpbb2 out yet?
on the website i see version 2.0.1 somthing but it looks identical to version1. any ideas?

All the phpBB's look the same to me but i think its out, just not the most stable thing yet, anyways, i got vB and i luv it, ive also used IPB, cant say i have anything against it, adding mods and such is just as hard on both forums, but vB takes the cake for being more filled with great options.

IPB has always felt bloated and slow to me. The way they change their licencing rules every 2 months is rather bothersome as they're trying to come off as enterprise-friendly, and all they're coming of as is unstable.

I personally use PunBB on my forums, but that's because I like the minimum feature set, since most of my forums are/were small. PunBB can and does support significantly large forums though, if your users can stand the minimum feature set :)

thats a nice one too notnamed.
Does it have an sdk to remotely post messages from a script?

I wouldn't have the foggiest, Woj, but I'd doubt it... sounds like the sort of thing that wouldn't be included. They're really, really big on minimalism. Rickard (the dev, who, yes, is Swedish) has been fighting a private message system for a very long time, if that gives you an idea.

HAHAHAHA

Phpbb is actually the worst
I have no clue what invision was thinking when they went payed cuz there scripting is crap
And Vbulletin is the best

babolo said:
I have no clue what invision was thinking when they went payed cuz there scripting is crap
They were thinking "humm, our code is crap, lets make a few bucks off it"
See, and it worked.

And IPB has an SDK to go along their script :)

Back