• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Vista Anyone

I actually plan to wait for SP2 before I try it. But then again by the time sp2 is out Linux may have the better features included in Vista with out the negatives, Funny how that works :p

I've never tried it, do you think my P.C could handle it?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual @ 2.21GHz each
1GB RAM
NVidea 7600GT x2

I want to use it for games aswell, I will upgrade the graphic card's when they 8800 comes out for Direct X 10. Will my PC cope?

Well that's more than the recc. specs so there's no reason why it shouldn't.

Kurt, The beta's ran quite well on my pc:
- barton 2500
- 1gb ram
- 6600gt

So it should work well on yours :)

I have an msdn subscription - I have to say it scared me when I installed all the betas - it was slow, had issues and supported nothing :)

Now that I have the full version - I like the design, speed, and depending on the version the features.

Thanks,
Adam

It seems half decent but the only real improvement is the vista theme.
My computer can easily run it with no problems what so ever.
e4300, 1gb ram, 7600 gt.
All my hardware worked during default setup. haven't really experienced any bugs yet. Other than flashing black screen happening during updates which may not be a bug or to do with nvidia..

I have been running the final build for 3.5 weeks or so [got it before official release, as many did either with work or MSDN], and have actually been pretty happy with it. It is running perhaps FASTER on this unit then XP did.

I have ran into a few problems though, I cannot get any of my ATi tv tuners to work, ATi claims they will have drivers out soon, but its way past the release and I am tired of waiting. One Gaim plugin [guifications] doesnt like Vista. Outside of that, everything has been very stable, I have not had a freeze or BSOD or anything in the time I've ran the final build. In comparison, I cursed and hating both Release Candidates.

As far as killer features that make you want to switch; none. Visual style is different, the 3D effect is fairly worthless, I do like Windows Gadgets but thats something you could get with any widgets/konfabulator program.

I have already seen infected machines running Vista, so security measures can't be that much greater. User Account Control is a pain, I turned mine off almost immediately after having the machine on.

Yes, you can use a flash drive for "ram", sort of. It is only for very small I/O requests, but does make a slight difference if you have just a little amount of memory. I recommend a MINIMUM of 1gb for Vista, 512 is a nightmare.

I've got to persuade a small business to switch to Vista next Wednesday. Thats going to be quite a hard task considering I don't believe it in myself. Seems I have allot of research to do this weekend :S.

Having nothing better to do, I started reading A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection and explorer various links it presented.
A pretty lengthy article describing the ways Vista is cripple with DRM restrictions and possible consequences.

Vista includes various requirements for “robustness” in which the content industry, through “hardware robustness rules”, dictates design requirements to hardware manufacturers. The level of control the content producers have over technical design details is nothing short of amazing. As security researcher Ed Felten quoted from Microsoft documents on his freedom-to-tinker web site about a year ago:

“The evidence [of security] must be presented to Hollywood and other content owners, and they must agree that it provides the required level of security. Written proof from at least three of the major Hollywood studios is required”.

So if you design a new security system, you can't get it supported in Windows Vista until well-known computer security experts like MGM, 20th Century-Fox, and Disney give you the go-ahead (this gives a whole new meaning to the term “Mickey-Mouse security”). It's absolutely astonishing to find paragraphs like this in what are supposed to be Windows technical documents, since it gives Hollywood studios veto rights over Windows security mechanisms.
Go Microsoft Go! :rolleyes:

That article also gave me an explanation why my ASIO drivers were not working under Vista. Yep. DRM. No vista for me.

hosting-shack, you shouldn't have too many problems. If you run into any holes, PM me and I'll present you some new ideas maybe.

hosting-shack, you shouldn't have too many problems. If you run into any holes, PM me and I'll present you some new ideas maybe.

I ran over most the details last night without a problem.

I might take you up on that offer later ;) Thanks.

I've got to persuade a small business to switch to Vista next Wednesday. Thats going to be quite a hard task considering I don't believe it in myself. Seems I have allot of research to do this weekend :S.
Please don't do that. That's just wrong.

Switched to Vista and it seems pretty damned nice. Not sure if I'd recommend it to a business though, I think they need more processing power than flashy stuff.

Anyone managed to sucessfully switch back to XP from Vista?

Because Microsoft would void the XP version that was previously installed making it a one way trip to Vista once you upgraded.

Did they ever mentioned that?

Here's a link...

Last edited:
Anyone managed to sucessfully switch back to XP from Vista?

Because Microsoft would void the XP version that was previously installed making it a one way trip to Vista once you upgraded.

Did they ever mentioned that?

Here's a link...

Only if you have the upgrade version.

Hell, my XP was a pirate version anyway :p

Please don't do that. That's just wrong.

Already done it. Sorry :S.

I have to admit, I did not need to say much anyway, seems they too had been doing their research and where already sure in their mind they wanted to switch.

Back