• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Wanna know the most popular board used for

Which forum do you use for post2host services ??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Here's what I think, even though I don't own a free web host.

• phpBB: Easy to install. It's easy to get support. There are more templates for it. Thousands of people develop mods and add ons for it. It's open source and friendly to use. I have encountered NO bugs are NO exploits so far.
  • IPB: The interference isn't friendly (I don't like it), it's more 'sharp' and the Admin CP is hard to use for people who aren't experienced.
  • SMF: It's extremely similar to proboards, which is disgusting. I don't like it all, specifically the header of the forum. The skins aren't that good either.
  • VB: VB is brilliant. It's the best for me. It's very pricey, but it's got some very good features, and I've noticed no bugs so far.

I use phpBB because to me it's easiest to use. SMF is nasty, ugly and slow. On mine now so far I have 11 Mods installed on the forums, all installed by Easymod. I can't wait for phpBB3 to get past its Beta stages because I favour it over all the paid boards. You can get really get some decent mods for phpBB i've got Arcade Mods, Stores, Quick Reply, Cash, Disable Post Count Increase in certain forums, Ad Banners in between posts, Seperate Stickies etc.

Hm...with Phpbb I've seen more hacking 'attempts' and 'hacked' sites been done to peoples boards who have uploaded a phpbb forum.I mean I've used phpbb, but I've not liked the actual interface in my own opinion and I have had a board hacked that I had administered; people used it and managed to put a hacking 'tag' (some turkish hacking group) along while hacking our phpbb support forum so we quickly changed to another forum software we haven't received a single problem - this is from my experience, so I find that phpbb is very insecure. If vBulletin was less secure than phpbb then I'd think less people would be using vBulletin especially big forums as they're more prone to being attacked.

It all boils down to what you are looking for each user likes something different about each forum software. I personally prefer vBulletin because of its features and security thats written in..with IPB you have to mod it to do half the things that vbulletin can do by default. And the mods if you have to install them require minimal actual code modding becuase of the plugin system they have in place.

And just to add vbulletin doesnt have the most expensive license..that would be IPB :)

Last edited:
Yabb is good, but its quite simple.

Guys this has become a software bashing session. When in the end all software does some things better than others.

- IPB doesnt have few mods, check out invisionize.com :p also if its kins you want i can give you just over 5000 ( beat that :p:p)

IPB is more secure than phpbb, as phpbb have the major disadvantage of being free, which any hacker with half a mind can download the source code, however if he/she wishes to do this he has to spill out over $160 for an IPB/VB liscence

note: whoever said it, vB isnt the most expensive IPB 2.1.7 was infact priced at $185 ( to vbs 160)

IPB is more secure than phpbb, as phpbb have the major disadvantage of being free

Beeing free is never a disadvantage.

which any hacker with half a mind can download the source code, however if he/she wishes to do this he has to spill out over $160 for an IPB/VB liscence

Dude....I HAVE THE IPB SOURCE CODE AND I NEVER PAID FOR IT. It's just dead easy to get.

Why can't you understand, that IPB is just as easy to get as phpbb, and that ANYONE, and I mean ANYONE with half a brain, let alone a hacker, can EASILY obtain it.

You got any idea how many people upload nulled versions of ipb to their hosting account with us? It happens almost every day. And these people aren't even hackers, they don't even know how to create a mysql database.

THAT'S how easy it is to get ipb, without paying a cent.

Last edited:
Im sorry , but we just DONT need another basher on this forum, why cant people respect other peoples opinions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as to the point of the thread, it was merely to acertain if KJ would do well to customise his script for any other boards , hes already done it for IPB so he isnt going to change it .

In the ed it isnt your money, why do you care how someone chooses to spend it

yes however, would it not be far better to say your peice and have done with it rather that keep on argueing when so many are evidently of oposing opinions to yourself, to myself and others you could be preaching rubbish, it all comes in roundabouts, and while respect your ability to state your opinion and defend it to a point, nothing is achieved by attacking others opinions in a futile attempt to convert them to your point of view, when they should of course be able maintain their own. This is further aggrivated by the fact that you are completely unable to offer any proof of your point, while i admit this is hard to do, as it is impossible to come a conclusion as to a correct answer, it would help enormously if you offered perhaps some examples of the features set phpbb3 apart from its premium counter-parts.

Furthermore an arguement is only truly valid at the point when you acknowledge faults that will of course exist in phpbb and also advantages that one might gain from utilising IPB (of which there are of course several, whether you like IPB or not). If you had presented your point in this manner and had therefore shown some semblence of balance in your barrage then i would have been more accepting of your statements ( and i know many others think the same)

Instead, you merely post again and again, repeting the same base message without the glossary of any facts/figures or other data. It is as if you think that by simply saying something enough, others will come to accept it as their own personal truth, THIS IS NAIVE.

I suggest before you begin to further criticise others and their scripts/work you take into consideration all the factors which i have presented to you. Then we can argue:p (though possibly over something that has a little more importance :beer:)

Regards,
AMChost

You think I've got it bad? Not long ago, people who said the earth was round were burned at the stake, longer ago people who claimed the earth was not in the middle of the universe were burned at the stake.

They had many people who's opinions were different to them.
So did Lenin, yet he never gave up, did he? And nor will I, for I believe I am right.

I don't really care about all this, as I said, but if you're going to say rubbish like IPB Is more secure, on the grounds that it's not open source, which has got to be the stupidest logic I've ever heard, then I will protest your opinions, regardless of how widely held they may be.

As for evidence...I don't know, would you like me to post a link where you can download IPB for free? I don't think that's allowed.

By my view, opensource is better than propriety by a near infinite distance, and I will not accept that IPB is better than phpbb at anything. Maybe it has SLIGHTLY more features out-of-the-box than phpbb2, however with a few simple mod installs or phpbb3, that is no longer the case.

I do present facts, maybe you are just too ignorant to acknowledge them.
Fact: Open Source software is always more secure than propriety software.
The proof of this is simple, you have millions of programmers helping to find and fix security problems, whereas in propriety applications, you have a tiny team.

well u did it u are true
hackers and crackers are different
hackers observe source and help fix probs in softwares
they have contributed a lot to the development of softwares
but crackers are idiots

Well, im not gonna keep argueing, as it seems most points which i presented in my last speech were evidently ignored :p

By the way, using Lenin as a role model, might not be a good thing, by rather a few people he was considered to be deranged

Starcraftmazer said:
longer ago people who claimed the earth was not in the middle of the universe were burned at the stake.

Technically the earth is at the center of the universe, same as everything else :p

By the way, using Lenin as a role model, might not be a good thing, by rather a few people he was considered to be deranged

I'm very happy for those people, but Lenin was one smart man, and if they don't like him, they can go and tell someone who cares :cool2:

Technically the earth is at the center of the universe, same as everything else :p

Well, seeing as how we don't know how big the universe is, nor where it begins or ends, we can't really say that, now can we?

About your points, none were ignored.

the earth is at the the center of the universe,

it is possible to observe this as all matter ( with the exclusion of orbitary patterns, i.e the solar system) moves away from the earth at an equal rate, when combined with the big bang theory this in effect allows us to conclude that the earth is the centre of the universe,

however, alrmingly, the same is true of every other place in the universe. :S

its kinda hard to explain as im no teacher, but the universe doesnt have a center, because it is the center, like i said it makes no sense, but then, things on that scale never usually do :p

Oh and as to your views on lenin, i didnt say he wasnt a genius, there have been many mad geniuses, while i dont agree with communism, i can tolerate it as long as undue suffering is not caused :)

There are mods which are so easy to install there automated. Ours has alot of mods on there.

Back