• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Should reputation be anonymous or not?

Should we change the reputation system so you can't -rep anonymously?

• Yes, change it. I understand reputation points I've given in the past will be visible to those I gav

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • No, keep it anonymous as it is.

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm suprised that this has generated so much discussion for something so small. Reputation merely means that you have something meaningful, funny, or informative to say that is in agreement with the thinking of the high-reputation active users on the board. It can be an at-a-glance indicator of worth, but it shouldn't be considered scientific.

I mean, look at me. I don't even have 500 posts yet and have more pips than many people with twice as many posts as me. Does that mean I am somehow "better" than them? Nope.

That being said, I have no idea why this wasn't just changed. It's not like the world will explode if it is turned on. Turning it back off again in the wake of issues is as simple as changing the setting back.

I'm suprised that this has generated so much discussion for something so small. Reputation merely means that you have something meaningful, funny, or informative to say that is in agreement with the thinking of the high-reputation active users on the board. It can be an at-a-glance indicator of worth, but it shouldn't be considered scientific.

I mean, look at me. I don't even have 500 posts yet and have more pips than many people with twice as many posts as me. Does that mean I am somehow "better" than them? Nope.

That being said, I have no idea why this wasn't just changed. It's not like the world will explode if it is turned on. Turning it back off again in the wake of issues is as simple as changing the setting back.

It's in a way not exactly "small". It's one of only three or four durable metrics that describe a member over a long time. And I think they're expecting a small flurry of rep wars when people find out who did what, everyone catching up on years of "payback". Funny thing is, I think that might have happened last year, but I think we lost some dynamism this year, so it will all be a dull thud this time.

I vote to scratch the anonymity. This will benefit the forum users by enforcing more open communication. Put your face where your mouth is :)

It's now been changed for most Usergroups. If you have made less than 50 posts or have -rep disabled for your account you still can't see who gave you reputation points until you are out of those groups.

May I suggest we stop -rep people for something you disagree with and only do it to those who really deserve it? And no retaliation for old (or new) -rep someone gave you. It's not a new rule, just a suggestion. Now let's go spread some +rep :)

Thanks for the change. Looking over the score card, it is good to know that I did not get neg-repped by anyone actually worth caring about (cept for maybe once...), and it was only either trolls or handicapables :D

Looks like you could only see the last 25 reputations given to you in the Control Panel. That was the default vB setting. I've now changed it to 100. The Control Panel might be too slow to load if we increase it more than that.

Thanks for the change. Looking over the score card, it is good to know that I did not get neg-repped by anyone actually worth caring about (cept for maybe once...), and it was only either trolls or handicapables :D

Same here I think. There was a funny guy who tried to slam my study.

So does that mean you care about everyone who didn't -rep you? :classic2:

Last edited:
Screenshot-2011-11-15_08.49.56.png

My personal thanks. By the way, you're a real douche.

That's not what we need right now, ok? He gave you 10 +reps and 8 -reps years ago. We'll just have to accept that this system isn't perfect and some users did some not so nice things with it. It may have contributed to some negativity here. Hopefully it gets better now when it's no longer anonymous if we can all move on.

Naw Peo, this is like the Season Finale of Season 1 Anonymous Rep, when all the cliffhangers get resolved.

It's gonna take some time for people to process it all, only then can they move on. Hopefully as fast as a week, but maybe a month in bad cases. It depends how surprised someone is when they thought they knew someone.

That's not what we need right now, ok? He gave you 10 +reps and 8 -reps years ago. We'll just have to accept that this system isn't perfect and some users did some not so nice things with it. It may have contributed to some negativity here. Hopefully it gets better now when it's no longer anonymous if we can all move on.

Who knows, maybe he did the same thing to other members? It's never a bad idea to inform the general public that someone abused the reputation system like this.

"Free -Rep!" "|" Just some examples of what he negatively repped me on. I'm sure other people have the same crap, so it would be interesting to see who else he abused.

I don't think so. You can hide your reputation dots and instead display one black dot.

Just some examples of what he negatively repped me on. I'm sure other people have the same crap, so it would be interesting to see who else he abused.

That would be a case for removing a -rep IMO. People shouldn't be repped badly for a simple post, especially one like what Tyler posted. That is abusing the system and disclosing the sender has no relevance to that point.

Tyler, I don't mind you reporting this to us as you did in a pm. I've explained my views in private to you. I'll try to expand on that a little bit.

Unfortunately when looking through the reps, there are hundreds of similar ones from hundreds of members where you can argue much the same thing. There are many active members here who have given out more than 500 reputation comments. We have decided to focus on abusive language or hateful comments. And if you keep -rep the same person for no good reason. During the last year we've reduced the ability to rep the same person over and over again. So, some of that problem has been reduced.

In this particular case I think he was hosted by Tyler and was happy for a long time and gave Tyler + rep on 10 occasions. Then something went wrong and he got dissapointed and -rep 8 times. I don't know the details, this is some years ago. But again I don't see how we should reverse the 8 -rep and keep the 10 +rep in this case. The last one happened almost a year ago. The one you linked to is almost 2 years old.

I do understand it is frustrating with some of these -reputations. We've all received stupid comments and -rep we can't really understand. Maybe we could have avoided this if rep had not been anonymous from the beginning. Who knows, but this is where we are right now.

Tyler, I don't mind you reporting this to us as you did in a pm. I've explained my views in private to you. I'll try to expand on that a little bit.

Unfortunately when looking through the reps, there are hundreds of similar ones from hundreds of members where you can argue much the same thing. There are many active members here who have given out more than 500 reputation comments. We have decided to focus on abusive language or hateful comments. And if you keep -rep the same person for no good reason. During the last year we've reduced the ability to rep the same person over and over again. So, some of that problem has been reduced.

In this particular case I think he was hosted by Tyler and was happy for a long time and gave Tyler + rep on 10 occasions. Then something went wrong and he got dissapointed and -rep 8 times. I don't know the details, this is some years ago. But again I don't see how we should reverse the 8 -rep and keep the 10 +rep in this case. The last one happened almost a year ago. The one you linked to is almost 2 years old.

I do understand it is frustrating with some of these -reputations. We've all received stupid comments and -rep we can't really understand. Maybe we could have avoided this if rep had not been anonymous from the beginning. Who knows, but this is where we are right now.

I understand. I told you in the PM I accepted your decision and that was the end of it. When I posted the image, it was before I pm'ed you. I don't know if he did this to other people, which is why I made it public. I've already had a person who I won't reveal PM me about the same crap from the same person. If he wants to PM you about it, that's up to him.

There's a lot of members here to moderate, you can't spend your time doing reputation moderating for every single person who complains. And like I told you in the PM, I don't mind any of the negative reputation I've been given except for this user.

And yes, I did host him before I closed shop on Paradox Servers several years ago which means it was likely done as a personal attack.

@Tyler,
I told you that you are going to see my name a lot in your -rep during the time we was having war, my friend.
Hahahaha

But it is strange to see dmmcintyre3 able to +/-rep so many times.
I also saw him -/+rep me quite a lot times.
Seems like he is really hard working on playing -/+rep.
Hahahahha

Back