• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Should reputation be anonymous or not?

Should we change the reputation system so you can't -rep anonymously?

• Yes, change it. I understand reputation points I've given in the past will be visible to those I gav

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • No, keep it anonymous as it is.

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Peo

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reputation points you give - and + are currently anonymous. Recently we've received feedback from some members who'd like to change this so you can't -rep anyone anonymously. What do you think about this? Vote!

If there are no serious objections to this we will change it about a week from now when this poll end.

NOTE: If we change it, all old reputation points given by you will no longer be anonymous. The person you gave it to will be able to see it.

I say change it. I mean, I already see everyone who gives me positive rep. So I'd like to see who has given me negative rep. Probably noobs, but I'd still like to know.
Plus, I haven't really given out any +/- rep since I've been a member here, so it won't affect me, lol.

As what was stated before, this has a good chance of preventing random -rep, even if for fear or retaliation of a highly repped person.

I personally do not care if a person can see if I repped them. I will rep any person for any post that I feel warrants that, even if said person is a mod (which I do believe I did -rep a mod post before). I also give +Rep to those who deserve it, regardless how many red/green pips they have.

Also saves me the few seconds of signing my reps ;)

Where do we see the rep we have given out? I don't even remember how many negatives I have done but I'd bet lunch I can count them on one hand.

Good question. I can't find it right now, but you can see rep received if you go to your Control Panel.

The poll is missing an option:

I don't care about reputation points and this is a complete waste of time. :D

The poll is missing an option:

I don't care about reputation points and this is a complete waste of time. :D

I don't really understand why we keep making threads over this. It's been discussed to hell and back here. There's plenty of feedback there regarding this, what's the poll needed for?

I could understand the reputation system discussion if you needed 5 or more positive reputation points to start new threads or advertise in a signature and 10 or more positive reputation points to advertise in the offers forums. As it stands, the reputation system doesn't have any teeth so all the discussion about it doesn't really matter.

I don't really understand why we keep making threads over this. It's been discussed to hell and back here. There's plenty of feedback there regarding this, what's the poll needed for?
Plenty of feedback from a few. Some might disagree and didn't wish to incur the wrath of those for it ;)

And it's needed to give members a fair warning that we are changing this (unless we get valid complaints).

I could understand the reputation system discussion if you needed 5 or more positive reputation points to start new threads or advertise in a signature and 10 or more positive reputation points to advertise in the offers forums. As it stands, the reputation system doesn't have any teeth so all the discussion about it doesn't really matter.

While flawed, it's an Attestation System. It helps newbies at a glance know who knows what around here. The only downside is something to do with style. I've already pegged you as in the running for my new round of hosts in my project, yet you "only" have two bars. So it's risky but there's room for like a 1-time Rep-Power.

My view is - 'whatever' - but I did vote don't change it. It's not a broken system, it works fine, but really it makes no difference to my survival on this god forsaken planet - so whatever everyone else wants I'm happy with :p

I sure hope you aren't serious!?!

I'm at least half serious Jan. It's that Attestation thing again. Sure, let "Rep" be what it is, but like that "Premium Host" category we were talking about, if a host demonstrates high quality components of their business, they will likely be a better host than "the lower side of average".

Right now we do it in reverse, applying "penalties" for things. (See the YouHosting thread, Nulled Script threads, Free Domain threads, etc.) All I am doing is reversing it into Opt-In for quality. (I know, people will want to fake it, but in a sense some things can't be faked, you either have a .com or not, or a valid panel license or not.)

Let's put it this way. Trel has more posts than I do, is rocketing to the top of my quality ratings on the "Darkhorse Track" but he only has two rep bars? There's your signal that something is off.

Last edited:
Yet Tao has is at least have of my Rep, and half of my posts. :) Yes, I have no life apparently, lol. But I've been a steady member here since 2006. LP-Trel has had some bad string of luck. Plus, he was gone for a long time.

Less than 24 hours left to vote! If you don't want this changed, please let us know why. Thanks.

I sure hope you aren't serious!?!

Absolutely. Reputation is here to show people who is trustworthy and who is not. If a member from 2003 with 1.6k posts only has two bars, then either he's not trust worthy, or his reputation has been negatively repped multiple times by anonymous abusers. Which is why I don't understand why you guys are making such a big deal out of this. The only reason you would want reputation to be anonymous, in my honest opinion, is if you wanted to encourage people to abuse the system.

If you're going to negatively rep someone, it should be public. Why? Because negative reputation should have a reason other then '.' or 'crap post' or 'you suck'. Etc. For instance, if someone negative repped me because "300GB transfer for free? Obvious overseller!" I would not take offense to this. But if someone negative repped me as a personal attack, I would take offense to that.

You know what anonymous personal attacks do to new members here? It drives them away. You can disable reputation in your profile, but all that does is make your bar gray -- you can still see any new rep that has been given to you in your profile.

Because negative reputation should have a reason other then '.' or 'crap post' or 'you suck'.

That right there should be grounds for having a - rep removed (and that person -repped by the big guns ;)). If someone cannot come up with a logical reason to justify -rep, they shouldn't be giving it at all.

If a member from 2003 with 1.6k posts only has two bars, then either he's not trust worthy, or his reputation has been negatively repped multiple times by anonymous abusers.
Not entirely true. I had only 2 pips for the longest time and only recently earned the mega pips.

Last edited:
Back