• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Recent content by mjg7

1. M

Hosting using your personal computer

MyDiskServer does not use port 80 by default. I guess using a non standard port helps ensure my service will be more widely available to people who have restrictive ISPs. Many services use HTTP but are not known as web servers, so I guess that if I do not refer to MyDiskServer as a web server...
  2. M

MyDiskServer only requires Java 1.4 which has been around for over 4 years now. It's pretty darn easy to install Java now anyway. I inform the user if Java needs to be installed automatically on the web page. Many new PCs come with java pre installed. Most Linux installations and Mac OSX also...
  3. M

I've just been looking through both AOLs and Wanadoos (previously known as freeserve) terms and conditions and cant find any clause stating the user can not run a server on their connection. It may be hidden somewhere, I was unaware this was true. Many software applications, for example MSN...
  4. M

The majority of ISPs, certainly in the UK, do not worry about users running servers on their personal computers as they simply place a limit on the bandwidth that can be consumed. Obviously using a DSL or slower connection would not support a massive number of users, but it's great for testing...
  5. M

With personal Internet connections getting faster every day, I think it's time people start using them more, rather that relying on hosting services provided by others. For example, there are thousands of "host your files here" services which encourage users to upload their files to a web...
Back