• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

---- ----

foo2thabar

NLC
For some reason my USB drive isn't being assigned to a device when it's plugged in.

Normally it shoots on over to /dev/sdb

Here's my dmesg:

usb 4-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
usb 4-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usb 4-1: USB disconnect, address 3
usb 4-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
usb 4-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usb 4-1: USB disconnect, address 4
usb 4-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
usb 4-4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

This was 3 tries. Two on one USB plug and then I switched plugs as you can see ..... does anybody know why it won't assign?

title = sh!t f*ck

What distro? Since the update to Ubuntu 8.04 I've had some issues but a quick google might fix the problem if you just updated.

Edit: And a note to those Windows users, In September I switched to Ubuntu and have never looked back. It's a much better OS than windows ever was. And updates so often is amazing.

Last edited:
What distro? Since the update to Ubuntu 8.04 I've had some issues but a quick google might fix the problem if you just updated.

Edit: And a note to those Windows users, In September I switched to Ubuntu and have never looked back. It's a much better OS than windows ever was. And updates so often is amazing.

Ben said:
Woops,

Arch Linux on kernel 2.6.24

After this reboot I'll be running 2.6.25 ...

Currently doing some hardcore googlin' to no avail.

Okay, I just thought of this.

Why don't I just ----ing reboot so I'm running the newer kernel.

And guess what?

It worked.

I want to make the switch over to Ubuntu but I haven't yet..I game a bit and I'm not sure how well it will work for that (though from what I'm hearing lately the emulators -> Cedega/WINE are actually outperforming the native apps on windows in some cases) so it might be time to change.

I have to keep windows anyway though, still have to develop for it..so it may be a while before I move to linux as main. But now that I have my new desktop I can definitely dual-boot :)

I'd suggest giving it a try. I've been running only linux for nearly a year (okay, sort of. I have a desktop running XP that is only turned on when I want to play Counter-Strike .... about once a month).

I used Unbuntu off and on for awhile, but only just decided to install it a few days ago and actually give it a go. Eh, I'm still sticking to Windows more often though. Though however much I do like Linux, I still have to have a Windows machine.

I have Ubuntu loaded on my old dell for development..which I need to reformat and setup again since I didn't really do much dev but more just mucking around. I may end up switching over, I don't know, I just have been too lazy to tackle installing and switching over (I know it's easy since I've done it but I just haven't found time where I want to do it yet).

I'll get around to it eventually. For now, Vista works for me.

In any case, I need to tinker with a linux box at work to get Asterisk working for us so I get my linux fix there :p

Ben said:
I'd suggest giving it a try. I've been running only linux for nearly a year (okay, sort of. I have a desktop running XP that is only turned on when I want to play Counter-Strike .... about once a month).
With each release of Wine CS works even better. I played CS 1.6 on my linux computer like 5 months a go, and it worked pretty well. It will work way better than it did before now with all the bug fixes and improvements they've been doing on Wine :D

I love the idea of Linux, but in reality day to day it slows me down too much, anytime you go to install something that isn't included in the systems package management repository, or you buy hardware that's unsupported by default you open a can of worms that rarely closes. I do have a Linux machine and every once in a while all my machines are Linux, but I soon grow tired of consoles and errors, over the years I've forgotten what it is to control a computer and I feel much more settled around pretty windows and animations, control means responsibility and I just can't handle anymore ...

Back