• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

789MB [Review..]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkGrave

So, I got bored actually that happens a lot. I was reading this post made by a person advertising their site which is a lot better and ad free than other sites. Mind you, I like the layout its very... Web 1.9 ish.. 2.0 not really; Although, you know as they say. The design really isn't everything its the quality. Well, I joined up to the site to see what all there was. I wasn't surprised when i saw layered panel at the bottom of the page. Its becoming a widely used panel now-a-days. Although, The thing does frustrate me a little bit.

Well, After logging in and adding all the annoying personal information.. I started up my ftp program added the site details and try to connect... This is where it began to go downhill.
First try:
Code:
STATUS:>  	Host name darkgrave.789mb.com resolved: ip = 75.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.
STATUS:>  	Connecting to FTP server darkgrave.789mb.com:21 (ip = 75.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)...
STATUS:>  	Socket connected. Waiting for welcome message...
		421 50 users (the maximum) are already logged in, sorry
ERROR:>   	Service unavailable. Try again later.
Now ok, So I waited thirty seconds.. Tried again. Same thing. Three minutes later... Tried again; And would you have guessed it. Still not letting me. Maybe a note to the host would be to allow more people to connect to ftp. 50 people at a time is not very wise as if your hosting becomes popular then you'll be getting lots of complaints. Well, Ok; So I leave ftp like that for an ten minutes it tries to connect every 30 seconds itself mind you. Come back... Still not connected! Ok, Is this an error... Or do you have people going on your site ever second?

So then; I go to the basics, The file manager built into layered panel. Mind you this thing is actually quite easy to use.. But doesn't allow you to upload many files at one time. So its quite extensive and tedious. So I get a script I've made recently uploaded it works but I'm still not satisfied. I wondered do they allow ".htaccess" and other file types? You know, Layered Panel is picky.. so I go to upload a ".htaccess" file. Come to find out:

Code:
Error: type of file ".htaccess" not allowed

So no, they don't allow it. I know, that ".htaccess" is sometimes viewed as a bad file in free hosting. But, some scripts require it. Also; They don't allow uncommon ext. You can't upload cutenews due to this. Probably other scripts won't work due to it also. Most likely they don't allow other file extensions that you may make up in your lifetime. Mind you I have no clue to as what all the extensions there are in the world; But there are a lot.

I give up on this host... I rate it a 4/10. My patience ran thin.. Through typing this whole thing. I haven't connected to the database still. I think the owner of the site should go through and redo some of the configuring rather than the design point of the site.

Most of these problems pertain to the system the site itself is using. LayeredPanel default configurations are quite simplistic and should be edited. May this be a light to all hosts who don't configure scripts that should be; Or to future hosts getting LayeredPanel.

By the way didn't really know where to put this. So I put it in discussions. First review of a hosting site.

Last edited:
This has been the experience I've gone through with every host I've used that uses LayeredPanel. My guess is that nearly all of the hosts using LayeredPanel leave the settings to default. This means that the only PHP-file extensions allowed are PHP. I ran a test on common file extensions related to PHP: .phtml, .inc, .mdu, .phps, so on and so forth. None of the hosts that I signed up with using LayeredPanel allowed those filetypes.

Also, like you said, I could never get on FTP. When I was lucky enough, I got cut off half way through the upload because too many were on.

So you have a free account and you complain here and not at the host.

Talk to them, then report back.

Actually.. Not complaining. If it went well; I would have done a good review. The host comes on here. So he will probably read this. I was just reviewing it for people who were thinking about going there to hear what I thought and what I tested and what problems I may have or may not have had.

But, all in all. It was a simple review. And the free account was to review the site. I had no intention of using it and will delete it now. I don't need hosting. I was doing a review.

Last edited:
That is completely unfair.

Using a host for for that purpose
I don't need hosting. I was doing a review.

Hosts work hard and you just jerked one around, if your into that I hope you fail as it's bad - possible press/scum.

You've set your level.

Its called reviewing a host.
It's not about being fair. I was fair when I joined up to start the review and I was honest on all my opinions in my post. If you think thats unfair in some way. Then that is your sole opinion.

The account was for reviewing purposes. No where in his TOS does it say that I cannot do this. Nor Did I state that I needed hosting when I signed up, or when I wrote the review. Please read the first line of my review. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi DarkGrave,

So what's next ?

10 more reviews from 10 other free hosts ?
I think you should as 1 review is not enough data to compare anything to..

Kind regards,
PaulP.

Please don't ask me to review my hosting as I only give hosting to people that need hosting, not a quick review and the account can be deleted again...

Last edited:

Hosts work hard and you just jerked one around, if your into that I hope you fail as it's bad - possible press/scum.

You've set your level.

Wow!

I like that Dark gave a fair and honest review, especially from a host who is trying to come out of nowhere and claim they have no downtime and unlimited cpu usage (read the responses to free requests where 789mb have replied).

Good job Dark.

Mike

thanks for the review, we do provide unlimited cpu usage and our current load is 0.00 even though we have many active users, our cpu sits at 99% idle as we buy powerful hardware so people can run whatever script they like. Layeredpanel has restrictions like it doenst work with .htaccess files (i cant change this) but why complain to me, complain to layeredpanel... i cant fix this (if i allow them there are security problems)

thirdly, if we use something like cpanel there will be much more load on the server for auto signup hosts. I am not comming out of nowhere, i own more hosts than just this... i just dont advertise them here.

as for the FTP problem i will contact someone about having this limit changed, i had not realized it was getting hit, thanks for notifying me.

if you dont like it, dont use it, but i have also got good reviews by pm and forum replies so obviously my service satisfies some people and our signup rate is very high but i only think such a review is fair if you compare us against other free hosts.

thank you for your review

Last edited:

You've set your level.

What? He got a free account, attempted to use it, and it failed. Whether he was actually going to use it or not, it didn't work either way.

He gave an honest review. Get over it.

- Lucas

Thanks and to nick, I know, layeredpanel has some problems hopefully they will fix them in future releases.

Also, I wasn't really comparing you but, If people want I will review your service. I have time on my hand sometimes and I'd be glad to do it. I will review more sites. Also; Cpanel is one of the most used panels out there and I am more familiar with it. But for free hosting having that one for every client would be alot. I think that you can config layeredpanel to some extent. Update: I have sent an email to layeredpanel telling them and or asking them about the problems that I have had with their software. So, If they give me any answers on how to change and or edit something I will post it in this or another post.

Also; Your welcome about the FTP.

Last edited:
I don't see anything wrong with a person signing up for a free host to review it as long as they give it an honest review .. which it seems he did. Besides DarkGrave's review wasn't too harsh ..I thought it was done tastefully.

thanks for the review, we do provide unlimited cpu usage and our current load is 0.00 even though we have many active users, our cpu sits at 99% idle as we buy powerful hardware so people can run whatever script they like. Layeredpanel has restrictions like it doenst work with .htaccess files (i cant change this) but why complain to me, complain to layeredpanel... i cant fix this (if i allow them there are security problems)

thirdly, if we use something like cpanel there will be much more load on the server for auto signup hosts. I am not comming out of nowhere, i own more hosts than just this... i just dont advertise them here.

as for the FTP problem i will contact someone about having this limit changed, i had not realized it was getting hit, thanks for notifying me.

if you dont like it, dont use it, but i have also got good reviews by pm and forum replies so obviously my service satisfies some people and our signup rate is very high but i only think such a review is fair if you compare us against other free hosts.

thank you for your review

So let me get this straight... You own more than one host and you are promising unlimited "CPU" and no "DOWNTIME"... Do you host Google as well?

I think that it's a good review and that Layered Panel is also cool but a good administrator should know which configurations to choose with LP because the defaults seem very limited. ;)

First, maybe you should take the time to really appreciate criticism. Second, try to take the time to actually formulate what you are trying to say and spell do your best to proof read so you don't make the spelling mistakes you just did.

As you become more comfortable here at FWS you will find that I do not take cheap shots nor go out of my way to "attack" peoples prerogatives or "companies". If I am saying that you sound like you do not know what you are talking about, then there is some truth to that. I am sure other people in this community would agree.

Further, I am not affecting your advertising. This is a review thread, so the hostility should not be here. If I went around and contaminated the requests you replied to with targeted anti-yourcompany messages, then I would understand the hostility. However, this has not happened.

Hostility just goes to assert my initial statements.

Here is a quote from the email i got back from LayeredPanel:
A) Can you change the types of files that are allowed to be uploaded? Or is it hardcoded into the php script? If so, which file so that way I can reconfigure my review to tell how.

No; you can change that, switch it off. You can add any extension and delete any extension.

B) The ftp has a limit of 50 by default?

No; you can set any limit you want. Some people use -1 (unlimited), but most use the default of 50.

C) You should take off the RTE editor on the editing of sites its very annoying especially when you want to edit a PHP file.

Yes, I know. But most people do not use the editor; most use PHP. But yes, I am looking for an alternative, if you
have any tips for us, it would be nice. We are looking at a commercial editor and at giving users the choice to edit
text, wysiwyg or PHP (there is a PHP web editor).

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,

Tycho

Thats all the questions / feed back I have as of now.

And to Paul:
Hi DarkGrave,
Please don't ask me to review my hosting as I only give hosting to people that need hosting, not a quick review and the account can be deleted again...

So sorry to hear that you don't want me to review your hosting. I don't mind at all that you feel that way. I respect your opinion, and will respect what you asked me not to do so don't worry.

Last edited:
I signed up at 789mb, got the "confirm" email.....it brought me to a page where the code was not valid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back