• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

A Server in Home

shantylata596

I have a old celron computer, just wasting my room space, I got an idea that, instead of wasting that hardware can i design a server through that system. It have 20 GB HDD and 256MB x2 512 RAM, running at a nice speed.

How can i proceed the work to use it as server, i had centos package already, then which are the software i require additionally, for which type of internet connection i want to consult ISP ?

I know it will not bring a professional service like xeon, but only need what it can provide ..

You could use it as a small web server or a server to use for learning Linux. If you're going to use it for learning Linux, I'd recommend you put OpenVZ on it, so you don't have to constantly reload the OS and instead simply reinstall OS templates for the VPS's.

Any type of internet connection should be fine, unless you're planning to use it for clients rather than personal use? If that's the case you'll need a business ISP since most residential ISP's won't allow you to host websites, servers etc at home.

Look into setting up LAMP, just make sure it's only locally available for reasons John stated. Your ISP may get pissy if you have a public-facing web server on a residential account.

In high school I had a public-facing SSH server (on Arch Linux, or maybe Slackware, I can't remember, I was using both at the time); I'd tunnel my connection from my computer in one of my classes to it so I could read slashdot.org, which was blocked by the school's web filter. This is also useful to reduce snooping if you use public wifi.

You already have CentOS then proceed with the installation of Webserver (Apache, Lighttpd, Engine-X, Litespeed free - your choice), PHP, MySQL, some addons and libraries, you are ready to live.

If you are a beginner then i suggest you to use simple commands to install such as:
Code:
yum update -y
yum install php* mysql*

as for Apache (if you wanna use) it is already installed by default (httpd).

Back