• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Acer Travelmate Notebooks

carlito

Anyone had a bad (or perhaps even good) experience with Acer Travelmate Notebooks?

Mine was fine for about a year, when all the sudden I noticed the left joint that secures the screen started to deteriorate. At first, just a crack. Then the first layer of plastic came off. Then another. Until eventually.. the joint completely lifted itself off from the monitor. Now my laptop is only attached on the right, which means I can't take it anywhere for fear the whole monitor will come off ... :( (in other words the whole point of buying a laptop - for mobility - is now redundant).

*sigh* why do laptops always cause me so much trouble.. my last one... a Dell... its keyboard just stopped working for no reason... next time I am SO buying a desktop....

It's modern human nature to try and save money, and laptops are definately one of those commercial areas that you get what you pay for, if you spend a load of money on a good quality machine, it will behave like one, however if you go into the shop and be "thrifty" by buying the third cheapest model they do - you're laptop will behave like the third cheapest model in the shop, and break ..... I never had an acer, but I have I have some rubbishy packard bell, and a string of other bottom of the line laptops behind me, I just got used to the idea that I'll have to buy a new one every year .... the best laptop I ever had was a compaq presario, I actually dropped it several times with the screen open before it was stolen in a house burglary .... by getting stolen without putting up any sort of fight, it let me down, before that though it was a fantastic and almost indestructible machine ..... and when you rationalize, any laptop would get stolen without putting up a fight, unless maybe it was from Japan and had some sort of flamethrowers attached to it .....

Buy a MacBook instead - they're better quality anyway. :)

Don't get a desktop, whatever you do.

Desktops are good for expanadability - price - reliability. Im not so sure mobility is worth the price ?

As for the acer - i have a bit of experience with the travelmate line (worked doing repairs for some) , and had one (picked up from a mate for £100) for a while. Could you tell me which model it is.

I have to say I HATE that line, so im not surprised its braking on you. My one had to go when the screen began to flickering blue static, which became permanent feature, and then the screen blanked out to white. The battery after 1 year was also roughly 1-1.5 hours from full charge.

However, i might be able to recommend you somewhere where you can get good repairs or spare parts.

Good luck with it either way :)

Hugo

Acer's are very popular worldwide, but I am not a fan of them. Back when I was a computer tech, I had a lot of issues with them being very cheaply made.

They tend to break without reason. I was fixing a clients computer and the sound just decided to start playing at a higher pitch. Reinstalled windows, nothing. Internet randomly stops working with the wifi. I wouldn't buy that piece of garbage personally.

I love my desktop, it's powerful, and big and chunky, and it's also got horns + I spent a load of money on the most comfortable computer chair in the world, however to use my desktop I have to sit at my desk, and that's a pain in the ---, if somehow I could fold up my desktop and put it next to me and then have it on my lap when I needed it .... oh wait, we're back to laptops .....

Desktops are good for expanadability - price - reliability. Im not so sure mobility is worth the price ?

As for the acer - i have a bit of experience with the travelmate line (worked doing repairs for some) , and had one (picked up from a mate for £100) for a while. Could you tell me which model it is.

I have to say I HATE that line, so im not surprised its braking on you. My one had to go when the screen began to flickering blue static, which became permanent feature, and then the screen blanked out to white. The battery after 1 year was also roughly 1-1.5 hours from full charge.

However, i might be able to recommend you somewhere where you can get good repairs or spare parts.

Good luck with it either way :)

Hugo

It's a TravelMate 2410. Looking back I so wish I had spent the extra money to get the one with the DVD burner in it :( Oh by the way, to make matters worse, when I first got it, the power socket broke off completely. Because of the way the power plug is designed, the right angle part of it put pressure on the desk and yeah, it completely snapped off. GAH.

I am not saying this coz i work for them :) but they are value for money and their main target is not individulas but SMB's, educational and govt sectors.

UTcrazy, if the fan is still making the noise, try flashing the BIOS with the latest version.

Well, you had a defected Dell...lol

I've been using Dell past 2 years and never had such problem. Never tried acer though.

They may be aimed at education sectors - but really that can be a disaster as well. A school my friend went to issued the Travelmate 290 as standard - and i have to say its one of the worst machines ive ever had to use.

I've had 2 Acer laptops within the year & both are fine, even our office TFT monitors are Acer yet these have had problems, well one of them.

Back