• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Any free web hosting horror stories?

Okay, I have a horror entry. One of the entrants for my project was apparently not really a host, but a cover for an email harvester which used hands-down the most aggressive ads I have ever seen, full of "you must sign up to this offer to make this (badly written) nag screen go away." Thankfully I used one of my sandbox emails because the spam count on it tripled in a month.

Okay, I have a horror entry. One of the entrants for my project was apparently not really a host, but a cover for an email harvester which used hands-down the most aggressive ads I have ever seen, full of "you must sign up to this offer to make this (badly written) nag screen go away." Thankfully I used one of my sandbox emails because the spam count on it tripled in a month.

Izzit those affiliate signups popups?
I've seen a lot of these kinds of host around.

I had a website hosted on freecpanelhost.co, but the host seems to have gone now and I can't recover the files.
The host's site itself was not bad, but the site vanished suddenly.

I had a website hosted on freecpanelhost.co, but the host seems to have gone now and I can't recover the files.
The host's site itself was not bad, but the site vanished suddenly.
When it vanished without even let the users know, it is no longer "not bad".

Lots of horror stories. Just look at the threads in this topic and you will notice alot of them.

Well...there are lots of horror stories.

But when customers choose to use a free host, they need to presume the greatest lost that they will get at any moment...you know...some free hosts just shut down theirs abruptly...

Much like yours will when WHMCS comes and takes down your site for not being authorized to have WHMCS.

Much like yours will when WHMCS comes and takes down your site for not being authorized to have WHMCS.

At least he did spend some efforts to fake the license debug details, unlike others, just put the license key as "123456"
Hahahaha

lsolats reflected

Ages ago I was with ---------- or something like that.
Their servers were really slow but always up so that was good enough for me. One day my account got suspended because of content that apparently was against the ToS so I wrote a support ticket asking what was the issue and they told me I was running a proxy script. :tired2:

In fact what was on my website was an embedded phproxy script, yeah but it was not hosted on their server -_- Anyway they offered me to restore my account but only if I pay monthly so I sent them back a really long email with lots of bad words and moved from one hoster to the next. Once someone let me stay on his server for a few months but then he ran out of money.

Surprisingly I found shelter at y*****ting which was always on and reliable and I could even offer free webspace to others (I think I even had to because you need at least a certain amount of active clients there..?).

Recently I moved to a VPS but only because of a SSL certificate, otherwise I would have stayed there.

Surprisingly I found shelter at y*****ting which was always on and reliable and I could even offer free webspace to others (I think I even had to because you need at least a certain amount of active clients there..?).

As long as you aren't hosting the proxy there, you're fine. They don't allow you to host it on their servers, however.

Nice thread. However, I do not ever use free hosting for my business. Free hosting do not have all the security you need compared to paid hosting.

I have read a lot about free web hosting. Many hosts have a scammy look about them. In most cases, you are not allowed to run your ads. Good luck being an affiliate on a free web host. Many free hosts also run their own ads on your sites so that they can monetize your content for themselves. There is also the abrupt shut down of the host which results in lost data.

There are some good hosts out there that are free and allow you many of the advantages that a full host allows. If you must have a free web host, then Blink Web seems like a good site. They did have a problem which resulted in a temporary shut down. However, in about 3 weeks, they were back up and all of my data is still up.

Otherwise, you might have a better luck with free blogging platforms. Blogspot and Tumblr allows you to do anything you want with your site (as long as its legal). Blogspot is a little easier to use while Tumblr is less strict.

You are running a risk with free hosts. You are also running a risk with paid hosts. It is just a different type of risk. :biggrin2:

Namepad just lost all my data, which of course wasn't backed up. So I guess I can join the "lost data" club. Otherwise I really liked their service.

Back