• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Any opinions on CGI hosts?

Shirty

I'm a wanderer when it comes to webhosts, but now I'd like to settle. I've narrowed my choice down to three webhosts, Datablocks, Freedom 2 Surf, and Netcabins, on which I'd like to host a small website.

I only need around 10-15mb, FTP, and full PHP capabilities. Any kind of ads are okay, but I strongly detest popup ads.

Can anybody tell me their experiences with these hosts, and mostly if it'll stay up in the long run?

TIA,
Shirty

datablocks is nice, they dont have SSI up yet, and they are unstable at the time

f2s has weird rules for SSI and PHP

netcabins is unstable, but nice

i have tried all three

mabey soemone else can help

Originally posted by Mrh0ax
netcabins is unstable, but nice

Correction: Signup is unstable. Once you're past that everything runs smooth as butter :D

I'd have to say that you shouldn't use f2s if you want ssi or cgi. SSI is a pain in the ass on there, and cgi doesn't seem to work.

Originally posted by newmodel
I'd have to say that you shouldn't use f2s if you want ssi or cgi. SSI is a pain in the ass on there, and cgi doesn't seem to work.
I've never head any problems with the cgi, try it without CHMODDING the files.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Try using
Code:
<?php include("/absolute/path/to/blabla.ext"); ?>
and renaming the file blabla.php3 instead of using
Code:
<!--#include virtual="blabla.ext" -->
or
Code:
<!--#include virtual="bla/me/babla.ext" -->
and having it called blabla.shtml
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Is that really such a big hassle? i'd never let that drive me away from such a quality host.

wronmg... heh netcabins HTaccess and cgi dosnt work well

Nope. .htaccess does work, and cgi works fine. What script are you having problems with? And one more thing, it's wrong, not wronmg ;)

ooohh, i made a typo!! who cares nick...

that shiet doesnt work for me, sorry to rain on ur paraide

ooohh, i made a typo!! who cares nick...

Notice the ";)". That means joking. Didn't know you weren't able to figure that out by yourself.

that shiet doesnt work for me, sorry to rain on ur paraide

Well then Instant Message Tom. He'll help you. Hell, Instant Message me and I'll help with whatever I can.

well, u and me had problems in the past

that is why i thought that

Yeah well I can be a smartass sometimes. Guess we all have our problems :p

I have tried setting up scripts on f2s with AND without chmoding. I have tried setting up several scripts that won't work on f2s that I have no problems with on other servers. I have tried just using my own directory name, and I also tried it with a cgi-bin on f2s...NOTHING worked.

Hi,

If your still having trouble installing cgi scripts on ur f2s account goto mysite and click human click and i'll do my best to help set them up.

Hey Shirty... you said that you would like to "settle" and from looking at all of the previous comments it appear you would do best in coughing up a couple of bucks each month and posting something in the Paid Hosting forum. Just another thought.

naw, I just said **** it because it shouldn't have to be a pain in the ass to set up a cgi script on a server. I just went to a server that works.

Thanks for all your replies. I've decided to experiment with Netcabins first, and then F2S and maybe Datablocks last. I definately want to do paid hosting (the tightarse option), but I want to get a job first as soon as I finish school. Thanks anyway. :)

F2S works...

Well, F2S as of right now, works fine for me. I've setup Ikonboard without any errors, a basic text counter, and "Image Arcadia". I think i heard some people say that only the new servers on F2S has SSI enabled or something.

Netcabins, i've not tried yet as i don't want to waste their account space. Spaceports signups seem to be a little weird for me. I signed up twice, and didn't receive any e-mail. So i signed up for the 3rd time, received my e-mail information, and couldn't login thru FTP. Oh well. ;)

I'm also thinking of moving to another host as F2S seems to be a little unstable, considering that i'm from Singapore, most of the hosts you guys mention, are a little 'far' from my present location. But i can live with that. Blah.

Back