• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

AOpen CDRW

notnamed

/fws/
NLC
I've got an AOpen CRW4850. I'm running WinXP Pro. And I've got a problem.

I built this computer myself, with parts from NewEgg...not a company known for shipping faulty products (although the motherboard was fried and the floppy disk drive was fried...)
Program/Game CDs work, most of the time. Occasionally they overheat and there's bugger all you can do about it except shut down the computer and leave it to cool. This generally happens right after I've neglected to save C&C and, of course, it crashes at the end mission video without saving.
Anyway, I tried to play a CD the other day...WinAmp crashed. Oh well, the CDROM drive is just overheated. No, it seems to be more than that. I think it's one of those uber-cool ones that when played in WMP there's music videos or something, because I tried to play it in WMP9 (just downloaded about a week ago) and it pops up this little 'do you want to allow this site to run ActiveX stuffs' or somesuch message (I have in Internet Options to prompt for practically every little thing AX does.)
So, I click Yes. WMP crashes. Dang. Oh well. The thing is...it's still happening, and I don't know why. I've done various things like check DirectX for some weird Microsoft KB reason, I've sent an error report (like it's going to do anything) and of course since it's been happening a few days, restarted the computer. I've updated the firmware for my CDRW drive (no drivers on AOpen's website) but it did next to nothing, just span the CD a little bit faster. Viewing the 'what does this error report contain' thing shows me that it screwed up in mshtml.dll but I search MKB and can't find anything. Microsoft Support won't accept my Product ID for WMP which, of course, is exactly right, with or without hyphens.

Is it the CDRW, or is it something else?

I tried reading through all of your post.. no, really I did, but I couldn't make it all the way through. It's a bit confusing, to say the least.

So let me see if I got this straight... is it WMP that is crashing? If so, is it all the time, or just when you play try to play this CD, or other CDs as well?

An optical drive cannot cause software errors like this.

Windows Update: http://www.windowsupdate.com

mshtml.dll has to do with IE so upgrade your IE to the latest version? atleast download the windows patches from the above site.

open your case and put it next to an a/c so it don't overheat. maybe you need more fans? how about a cooling system?

that reminds me, i have to go update my windows b/c i have like 20 patches to download. it'll only take like 4 hours on this 56k :p

- SF

Short and simple version. My CDROM drive occasionally overheats and crashes programs running it. Most of the time, I can just leave the computer to cool down a bit and they'll work fine again. It's not doing this with audio CDs in WMP. It pops up an ActiveX scripting prompt asking if I'd like to run ActiveX scripts, even on CDs I'm positive don't have any ActiveX scripting (my dad burned them.) It does not pop up this box with MP3s. After I click Yes or No, it doesn't matter, it crashes. However, this is the odd thing, if I leave that prompt up I can hear audio and the status bar thing is moving.

I'll try updating stuff but it is going to take FOREVER to get all those critical updates downloaded :(

One of the patches fixed it :classic2:
But it wasn't anything cool that I was missing, just some stupid Info Center.

Back