• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Athlon vs. Pentium IV

Athlon or Pentium?

• Pentium IV damnit! :mad:

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Athlon kicks 455!! :D

Votes: 23 69.7%
  • STFU!!! ;)

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Hayama-kun
IMHO only people who don't know what they're doing buy intel chips :mad:

Last I checked, Intel has a huge market share (P3 and Xeon) in the server market, Athlon has very little, especially since they've only just recently introduced multiprocessing support.

I like Athlon. I have an Athlon 1GHz, it's a powerful and cheap cpu, but they are damn hot.. 8 secs without a heatsink and they fry themselves to death... I think only the latest Athlon 4 Palomino (are these out yet?) has a thermal diode that can monitor core temp, and throttle down or shutdown the cpu to avoid burnout... P3's have had this feature all along..

Although Intel controls most of the server market, around 80-85% of it, AMD controls more than 60% of the home computing market according to recent reports... this is growing as AMD is faster, cheaper and more efficent.

Originally posted by stu
I think only the latest Athlon 4 Palomino (are these out yet?) has a thermal diode that can monitor core temp, and throttle down or shutdown the cpu to avoid burnout

Yep, the Athlon MP's are out now.

Originally posted by Giancarlo
Although Intel controls most of the server market, around 80-85% of it, AMD controls more than 60% of the home computing market according to recent reports... this is growing as AMD is faster, cheaper and more efficent.

What is your source?

Last I read from the AMD website is that they were planning on taking 30% of the desktop CPU market share by the end of this year.. I think they are almost there, right now..

Intel still controls a lot of the desktop market, although I've heard P4 sales sucked compared to their estimates (less than half sold than predicted). As for the server market, I think they have an 80% market share in servers with dual and quad cpus, but servers with 8 or more cpus, Intel has less than 50% market share. The bigger portion is controlled by Sun Ultrasparc.. Although that might have changed since Intel aquired Alpha technology last month..

Last edited:
Originally posted by LastActionHero
If your motherbord supports it there are software like motherboard monitor which give you the temperature and all other real time stats for your processor and motherboard.
I looked in download.com and all the search results had a rating of lower than 40%. Does anyone know of a good program that works nicely?

No clue...
But it's fairly new since I have a Pentium 3 733MHz running on it.

I'm pretty sure it's an Asus...

Originally posted by Coolin
No clue...
But it's fairly new since I have a Pentium 3 733MHz running on it.

I'm pretty sure it's an Asus...

Hmm then there should be some other problem. Check the help files or use some other software. Or try to upgrade your drivers for the motherboard.

52 Celcius, bot Farenheit.... Don't tell me your back to digging up old threads agian.

LOL, sorry i was looking for threads on athlons so i found this, BTW i have enough to get a avatar anyway. so u mean t52 celcius

Whenever referring to PC temps. it's more than likely going to be in degrees celcius.

Back