• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Atom vs Pentium 4 ?

ced

Atom 330 1.6Ghz ,2GB Ram
Pentium 4 2.8Ghz ,1GB Ram
They're same price which is better ? :confused4

I would go for the P4 2.8GHz with 1GB RAM as a faster CPU is always better. RAM upgrades are usually cheap and easy when you need the upgrades.

I'm pretty sure the Atom is a single core, I have one in my netbook. :) Although, it is much faster than you would expect from a 1.6 GHz processor.

Edit: Sorry, my mistake. Missed the 330, thought you were talking about the N260's.

Last edited:
An Atom 330 is dual-core and they benchmark faster than the P4. Go for the Atom. Excellent processor.

Do you have any project in mind or just theorizing?
You haven't mentioned how RAM will be essential in your particular case.
If 1GB is enough, go for Pentium4, if not, Atom should be an option.

9 times out of 10 newer tech is faster and it dont take a heap of tests to realize a 2 core processor will do better than a p4.
Clock speed dont really mean a great deal when ur judging 2 tolly diff processors.

Pick the atom

9 times out of 10 newer tech is faster and it dont take a heap of tests to realize a 2 core processor will do better than a p4.
Clock speed dont really mean a great deal when ur judging 2 tolly diff processors.

Pick the atom

Cannot say it any other way. bubbles for the comment

Atom for sure...

The Atoms pack a HUGE punch of power. I have a 330 with 2GB RAM running Windows 2003 and Exchange 2007. It is barely even using the CPU, and Exchange is one of the more resource intensive applications out there.

The 330 also features Hyperthreading, so the dual-core CPU will actually show up as being quad core in most cases ;)

I would suggest the atom. Although they both have the same features, such as hyperthreading. The atom is newer technology and from your specs, has more resources with it.

I would suggest the atom. Although they both have the same features, such as hyperthreading. The atom is newer technology and from your specs, has more resources with it.

Not all P4's have Hyperthreading... The Atom 330 is dual core, with Hyperthreading while P4s are single core and some are hyperthreading.

Clock speed is not an accurate means of comparing processors... Take the P4 2.4Ghz and Celeron 2.4Ghz, the P4 will run circles around the Celeron even when they are the same clock speed.

Back