• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Bandwidth issue

Dieter

Hi all,

I'm currently hosted at Tera-Byte (plan #4). It's a good compagny, cheap, and they have good support.

But:
I've a small-medium site (about 4000 pageviews in total each day) and I use about 120-150 megabytes of bandwidth / day.

When I checked my bandwidth in the beginning of the month, I had already used more than 4 gigabytes, while I normally use +-5 gigabytes / month. I went to the support-chatroom to ask more info about it since I didn't have more pageviews/day than the previous months. I was told that it was probably caused by the Code Red Worm. They adviced me to check the stats daily and so I did.

It seemed to be under control, I used my normal 120-150 meg / day. Because I thought it was under control I didn't check my bandwidth usage the 20th of August. When I checked it the 21st, I couldn't believe my eyes: between August 19 and August 21, I would have used 7 gigabytes!

I checked my siteadmin, and according to those stats, I'd used 1.5 gigabytes in 2 weeks. I checked my visitors-stats and I didn't have more visitors/pageviews than normal.

I've called to their support, i've written several mails in order to find the reason of that excessive bandwidth usage, but I didn't get a reply with the answer in it.

I had to check the web.log but that was only the log from yesterday till now. I was told that "Cobalt offers daily logs only". But I want to know how / what used all that bandwidth.

You can probably understand that I don't want to pay for something I didn't (in my opinion, as I don't have any proof of it, no logs, ... whatsoever) use.

My site is a site about a PCgame, we don't have any downloads on the Tera-Byte server, nor large images. The site has a total size of about 25 megabyte. I've discussed this with other webmasters (who have similar sites like mine and who run large gaming networks) and they all agree that it is impossible that our site would have used 7 GB in 2 days.

I hope some of you know:
- what could have caused this excessive bandwidth-usage
- how I can find it out
- what I should do against it.

Kindest regards and thanks in advantage,

Dieter Van Hassel

i know about that, I check my logs daily (because I had the same problem in the beginning of the month)

these are some reports

August 22:
cmbelgium.net (216.234.181.185, plan #4) - 12.546 GB
(GB = gigabytes)

August 21:
cmbelgium.net (216.234.181.185, plan #4) - 12.488 GB
(GB = gigabytes)

August 19:
cmbelgium.net (216.234.181.185, plan #4) - 5.335 GB
(GB = gigabytes)

August 17:
cmbelgium.net (216.234.181.185, plan #4) - 5.093 GB
(GB = gigabytes)

I have daily stats, and there wasn't an increase of visitors/pageviews between August 19 and 21

i know what your saying there matey, i only have a forum on there space and have had the same amount of visitors this month if not less than normal and ive gone from using 5-7 gig b/with to 13.4 this month??

let me know if you hear n e thin buddy

Originally posted by Dieter
i know about that, I check my logs daily (because I had the same problem in the beginning of the month)

these are some reports

August 22:
cmbelgium.net (216.234.181.185, plan #4) - 12.546 GB
(GB = gigabytes)

August 21:
cmbelgium.net (216.234.181.185, plan #4) - 12.488 GB
(GB = gigabytes)

August 19:
cmbelgium.net (216.234.181.185, plan #4) - 5.335 GB
(GB = gigabytes)

August 17:
cmbelgium.net (216.234.181.185, plan #4) - 5.093 GB
(GB = gigabytes)

I have daily stats, and there wasn't an increase of visitors/pageviews between August 19 and 21

im really a bit confused by the debate on where the bandwidth has gone, we offer 20 gigs on that service and your nowhere near that limit as of the 22nd and even now the 27th your still not near it.
here is what i know for sure:
your on a cobalt raq server with a swack of other people, cobalt raq's do not keep accurate stats or logs they never have and probably never will.
the bandwidth reporting we do is measured from the router, the router has to keep accurate stats on where bandwidth is going or you wouldnt get any bandwidth:)

so the question is which system is more believable the server or the router? well i paid 5k for the server and 250k for the router so im putting my money on the router :)

also i had a talk with the staff member suggesting it was code red related as you know Tim did a log dump on your site and found 200 code red requests out of 20,000 requests so it had no effect at all :)

Steve

you can use php to log vistors, requests, ips, and so much more find a prefab script or write ur own then ull know

Hey Steve, you didnt respond to my email I sent you about a week ago. What's the charge for a dedicated raq with about 250 IP's? It only needs about 5 gigs of space and about 10 gigs bandwidth max...

Now I will probably have everyone wondering what the hell you can use up 200+ IP's on with only that much space/bandwidth...LOL

See Stormwebs.com to see. It is mostly used by Americans who work in Saudi Arabia and other middle eastern countries....as well as a lot of Saudi's themselves since their government damned near blocks any site with the letter X or G on them in order to stop all adult and gambling sites...

Anyway, I dont have RAQs, and this uses far less resources than I had expected....perfect for a cheap RAQ. No sense in keeping it on this Dual 800 machine...the only issue is, the IP's are needed.

sorry WEBDUDE I was in washington last week so that email is stuck on my laptop resend it to me and ill send you out a response

Steve

Hi Steve

Yes, I know that I'm not near to it, but what if it happens again, when I'm nearer my limit?

Isn't it possible to throttle my bandwidth to 600 meg / day instead of 20 gig / month?

I would feel more confident then...

Cheers,

Dieter

Back