• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Best Message Boards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajiv

Hi,

I was wondering which message board is the best? phpBB, openBB, Ultimate BB, Ikonboard or .....and so on.

I would also like to know if I can authenticate users to a protected directory on my server using the Ultimate BB info? I have UBB 6.30 Retail version.

If you can pay for it I would suggest vB. It's the best script around in terms of support and functionality but it's bloody expensive.

If you looking for a free script I would suggest

1. Burning Board
2. PHPBB
2. iBForums(still in beta)

in that order. Do a search in the free services forum and you will come across a lot of posts related to this topic.

On the other hand if you don't have a high traffic/high user base or highly active forums I would suggest you stick with UBB.

Take a look at the ones listed here and see which one appeals to YOU, otherwise we will have a multipage argument by people as to which THEY think is best. It is all personal preference IMO :)

The link

Originally posted by The Red Guy
Yes, cos they're slow and modding them is tedious.
well all big hacks are tedious...

I remember there was an app developed by eiSecure that made hacking easier.

Originally posted by trenzterra
well all big hacks are tedious...

I remember there was an app developed by eiSecure that made hacking easier.

I also heard that it was buggy and few developers ported their hacks over. :(

Originally posted by biggulp
I don't find wbb slow! I have one and find it very fast!
Try installing IBF. You'll see the diff between a fast one and a slow one.

Originally posted by conkermaniac

I also heard that it was buggy and few developers ported their hacks over. :(
Yes, it was extremely buggy and no one made their hacks compatible with it. I tried to use it but it kept giving me errors. Troublesome, might as well switch boards.

Last edited:
Sometimes I've seen that the instructions aren't very good in some of the hacks and the code it tells you to add or find can sometimes can be wrong. :(

Yes, it was extremely buggy and no one made their hacks compatible with it. I tried to use it but it kept giving me errors. Troublesome, might as well switch boards.
bah you could have edited the code yourself for it to work.

By the way I made one small fix with that thingy.

Top few boards on my list:

phpBB2
XMB
wBB
IBForums
OpenBB

Never mind, no one uses it/ wbb anyway.
That's a rather rash statement. Plenty still use it, just because you don't like it is no reason to knock it. I have said it before and will say it again. It ALL comes down to personal preferences.

I am a member of a wbb, vb, ib, phpbb, ubb and I don't see anything wrong with any of them. :classic2:

Last edited:
Originally posted by Jan

That's a rather rash statement. Plenty still use it, just because you don't like it is no reason to knock it. I have said it before and will say it again. It ALL comes down to personal preferences.

I am a member of a wbb, vb, ib, phpbb, ubb and I don't see anything wrong with any of them. :classic2:
Didn't you realise that WBB is hard to mod/customise, slow and somewhat lacking in features?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back