• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Best sound card for Altec Lansing 5.1 speaker?

kabatak

Hi can anyone recommend the best sound card for Altec Lansing GT5051R
I don't need music making/editing capabilities of sound cards but I just want to have the best sound quality for playing music. Currently I only have an onboard 5.1 sound card and I want to get a new one that sounds better. Thanks.

Last edited:
I felt the need for a better sound card when I switched the speaker from one PC to another, they sounded different, both using onboard soundcards but different brands (one was Intel default soundcard, the other was ECS). The Intel sounded better when used with the same speaker. So I figured, if I buy a real soundcard, the quality would definitely improve more.

you sure it's not just a different winamp preset? heh

Altecs are good speakers, and most speakers in that league do have some kind of onboard sound pressesor. Plug in your mp3 player and see what gives a better sound.

If you still wanna go soundcard way, take a look at m-audio. It's geared towards music development, but they have very good no-nonsense products that sound great. Revolution 5.1 would be for you.
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.list&ID=pciinterfaces

haha. yeah definitely not just a winamp preset.
That Revolution 5.1 is cheaper than the X-Fi XtremeMusic. Is it better than the X-Fi?

Not sure what to tell you. I haven't tried any of those two.
Maybe find reviews of both and compare?

I am running the XtremeMusic card, on a gaming pc, and audio pc. They work great, the sound quality is very good on them :)

IMO soundcard specs at the mo are getting to 'studio' quality level for no reason. With a newish motherboard the chipset for most onboards will do the job for a great set of 5.1 or 7.1 speakers - biggest problem is the software applet that comes with it to fine tune for the room and reproduction type.

Best one I use for anything that requires 'great quality' from one of my speaker sets is an old SB Gold Pro, just because it doesn't need too much tweaking to actually get a great sound. :)

The Xi-Fi card is good, but honestly Im all about just integrated audio. It has gotten good enough to be fine for most.

Back