• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Beware of this customer

[DWH]Yuxuan

Recently someone bought a hosting package with us to host phished paypal pages. It took a while for us to realize what he/she was doing because nothing was stored in his/her account for up to a week.

This is just to inform the other web-host providers to be on the look out of this user and to NOT provide web-hosting for him/her.

Email: fulls @ strumica.com

So once again, be on the lookout of someone that follows those guidelines, and DO NOT provide hosting for him/her. He/She will be hosting phished materials.

Regards,
Yuxuan

*EDIT* PERSONAL INFORMATION DELETED

Last edited:
We really need a list of these... I have about 20 if anyone wants them :D

The problem is they generally create a new "identity" every time they sign up with a new host so they are hard to catch.

Hate to be mean....but you could use fraud protection....like maxmind or 2checkout as a payment gateway.....

I assume you have reported this to the UK police authorities for investigation as well as here?

people have to learn...

Another trying to "expose bad customer" thread.

You guys just don't realize the serious implications of doing this.

1: Phishing is nearly always done via vulnerable websites. Phishers arn't stupid, they will always use somebody else's website to commit their offense.

2: I hope that person you posted really is "the criminal". You better hope one day the person does not find this and find out she's been accused of serious crime. Hope she doesn't sue you.

3: Your privacy policy is below. You just totally flunked it:

Collection of Information: Personal information collected by DigitalWorldHost.com is used only by us to provide you with your specific request or order. This information will not be used in any other way expect for your order(s).

Distribution of Information: We may share information with governmental agencies or other companies assisting us in fraud prevention or investigation. We may do so when: (1) permitted or required by law; or, (2) trying to protect against or prevent actual or potential fraud or unauthorized transactions; or, (3) investigating fraud which has already taken place. The information is not provided to these companies for marketing purposes. Your information will not be provided to any third party companies or individuals.

4: If you are so sure it was the person you stated, why don't you provide your concrete, hard evidence? Since it is all public now anyway I'm sure you would have no hesitation doing so, unless of course you don't really have real evidence.

*sigh*

I have contacted him to edit that post at once. By making that post he directly violated DWH's private policy and disciplinery action will be taken. And yes, the information has been passed onto authorities in the local region.

Everybody makes mistakes, but this is an unfortunate mistake and should and must be avoided in the future.

James, you make very valid points as usual. However, we aren't going to release anything more regarding this incident. The evidence is there but as you've noticed, the OP has already violated our privacy policy and any furthur information would only violate that policy more and I have no intentions of doing or allowing so.

It's a bad habit that hosts have gotten into...posting these fraud related things. Anyways, the OP will edit the post ASAP.

Regards,

Tang

Hello,

I have edited the original post, so it only contains the e-mail address. I offer my apologies to the real owner of those information. I only posted them because

a) I didn't really believe they were "real"
b) He or she was breaking the law
and
c) I wasn't really thinking.

To Decker: Yes, I have contacted the local authorities
To James: Unfortunately I no longer have concrete evidence because I have already terminated the account. It not only violated our TOS, but also broke the law. Therefore, I was not very intent on keeping the contents of the account.

Since I no longer have concrete evidence, it is really up to the hosts themselves to believe if I am telling the truth or not.

Once again, I apologize to the real owner of the information they belong to. I only wished to inform the other hosts of this account and to be careful.

Regards,
Yuxuan

Last edited:
For future ref, I think I recognise the details (from an account I once hosted), although I might be wrong, it was for similar offences.

1. Don't terminate an account with this type of material but take it offline (not just suspend, modify the vhost move the whole folder whatever), without raising suspicion if possible (sorry, we're having routing problems at the DC or whatever can be believable in response to any support requests).

2. Backup the entire account including logs and hand this over to the authorities. - don't alert the account owner.

3. Include the companies being phished out of curtesy with a short breakdown of your findings. - they may be aware and investigating so it clears you the host of intentionally being involved.

Thanks Decker, this was my first time in dealing with a truly illegal account. I guess due to my inexperience with these situations, I panicked a bit and did what I thought was best. But what I thought was best turned out to be quite the opposite :S.

Well as long as it's one learned :) - that and you'll see loads of 'truly' illegal and some your not sure of in this business.

Now you just have to convince Tang it was in DWH's best interests :wink2:

Responding rapidly isn't always best, sometimes actually walking away from it and comming back after 5 minutes helps as the adrenalin panic has settled.

Haha, I'm sure Tang will forgive me... right?

But ya, this reminded me of the time when I got thieved on a bus. The feeling of violation didn't leave me for a month.

Hope so, it's a very difficult position to be put in but keeping a cool head is essential. You don't want to think about some of the things you may have to report in detail in the hosting world (trust me).

[DWH]Yuxuan;971531 said:
Haha, I'm sure Tang will forgive me... right?

But ya, this reminded me of the time when I got thieved on a bus. The feeling of violation didn't leave me for a month.

As long as this doesn't happen again and I think we've all learned something :) and we can all move forward from this.

I think DWH has been fortunate because there hasn't been a lot of sites like this one and so that kind of lead to this. Unfortunately, this person will probably get away this time. Thanks for your suggestion Decker! Very valuable :)

- Tang

Back