• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Beware of Thorny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just informed by some random person that Thorny told them he did steal a credit card to use in this transaction. He's still lurking somewhere, if anyone has any information on his whereabouts please let me know so I can pass the information along to the police.

I suppose my gut feeling was right :)

The excuses were unbelievable and with all the time he took to respond here, he could have paid the outstanding balance already.

@fattony:
Mark doesn't have to give you anything. You should have done research before purchasing from Thorny to make sure he was registered, had contacts, and also proved to not be a "fly-by-night" company (which it was). Mark has no obligations towards you but Thorny does. If today Marks wants to format the server, it isn't any of your concerns as you cannot just go up to the source and ask to get data that is "owned" by the middle man.

Your name is not on the contract (although void) thus Mark is not required to do anything for you. He stated he would do it for a fee, if your data is so valuable then you know what to do. Otherwise, there is no point in asking every day for the data as it will get you nowhere.

I suppose my gut feeling was right :)

The excuses were unbelievable and with all the time he took to respond here, he could have paid the outstanding balance already.

@fattony:
Mark doesn't have to give you anything. You should have done research before purchasing from Thorny to make sure he was registered, had contacts, and also proved to not be a "fly-by-night" company (which it was). Mark has no obligations towards you but Thorny does. If today Marks wants to format the server, it isn't any of your concerns as you cannot just go up to the source and ask to get data that is "owned" by the middle man.

Your name is not on the contract (although void) thus Mark is not required to do anything for you. He stated he would do it for a fee, if your data is so valuable then you know what to do. Otherwise, there is no point in asking every day for the data as it will get you nowhere.

I can understand that, but I don't get why he can't just do it. I spent many, many months on just a few blogs. All written by me and I want them back. It isn't that hard. I can understand he isn't required, but like I took a lot of time and these websites I have been doing for quite a while. It isn't like I am asking him to move over a huge thing or anything. Just something small and quick. I am sorry that he got scammed. It sucks. He seemed very nice and always helped me. I am just asking for my files. I don't comprehend the complexing and difficulty of this.

I explained how it isn't just a pop onto the server to grab the files. Formatting this box tomorrow, if you want to retain your files, please PM me.

Thanks

I can understand that, but I don't get why he can't just do it. I spent many, many months on just a few blogs. All written by me and I want them back. It isn't that hard. I can understand he isn't required, but like I took a lot of time and these websites I have been doing for quite a while. It isn't like I am asking him to move over a huge thing or anything. Just something small and quick. I am sorry that he got scammed. It sucks. He seemed very nice and always helped me. I am just asking for my files. I don't comprehend the complexing and difficulty of this.

It is, in fact, harder than it seems to you. AND it involves thinking to how to do it withouth breaching the contract/privacy policy.

Do you know what is NOT hard? Making daily/bi-daily backups of your sites.

I am a student. Trying to learn the ins and outs of this stuff. I had a blog...well had a blog since it was going to be deleted and a few others about sports and my favorite videos. I can't really backup at school because first I live here and the internet for some reason will never download the whole backup. I rarely go home to do so. So, when this happen, I haven't been home in a while, so my backups are very old. I am sorry. I can't afford the $80 and now all of my stuff will be deleted. Happy?

Come on UT. You could rent theserver to him for $20 / day. You would just have to power it on. ftpd and httpd would autostart. there would be no privacy issue because you wouldn't give him the root password. $20 / day would more than cover the bandwidth charges.
Chris

Yea Fattony69 I am your finally about to relize that were not responsible for your poor choice in a host..

Thats an harsh comment, but personally I have seen you bring more drama about your problem (hijacking anyone) then the issue the threads about. Simple lessons learned:

1) Never purchase from someone with an unsure track record.
2) Always keep offshore backups
3) Never contact your hosts host. They dont have to do anything for you.

I can't really backup at school because first I live here and the internet for some reason will never download the whole backup. I rarely go home to do so. So, when this happen, I haven't been home in a while, so my backups are very old. I am sorry. I can't afford the $80 and now all of my stuff will be deleted. Happy?

Well you've just stated the futility of asking to get access to download your backup - if you can't anyway that's a second point that UT is not responsible for.

If you can come to an arrangement with Mark, I'll download it for you and split it into small pieces (that you can download-most likely a filesize restricion to save students battering the schools bandwidth) and put it on one of my boxes for you to access for a while.

That is 'if you can arrange proper legitimet access'

Its out of my hands now. I have yet to hear a reaction from UT.

@LS

It was my first time actually paying for hosting since, I usually had friends pay. Thanks for the lessons. I will take that into consideration.

Its out of my hands now. I have yet to hear a reaction from UT.

@LS

It was my first time actually paying for hosting since, I usually had friends pay. Thanks for the lessons. I will take that into consideration.

Hey fattony69,

Just gotta mention this, because I know my replies were more strick and could have been rude. I will admit back when I started as a client of companies and not an owner, I learned these very same rules. Everything online are stepping stones, as time goes on your learn ways to be more efficent online :).

Hey fattony69,

Just gotta mention this, because I know my replies were more strick and could have been rude. I will admit back when I started as a client of companies and not an owner, I learned these very same rules. Everything online are stepping stones, as time goes on your learn ways to be more efficent online :).

I understand perfectly. Sometimes you have to be blunt to get your point through. I am just hoping I don't have anything bad happen over this.

In order to put the server online, I would need to reset the root password. If Fat tony agrees to buy a cPanel license, then he can get it for $20/day. But that will cost him $43. Still not worth my time, but I'll help if I can.

Thanks

In order to put the server online, I would need to reset the root password. If Fat tony agrees to buy a cPanel license, then he can get it for $20/day. But that will cost him $43. Still not worth my time, but I'll help if I can.

Thanks

Thanks, I think I can do it, but can't you use a 30 day trial on the cpanel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back