• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Beware of Thorny

Status
Not open for further replies.

utcrazy

Wo ist mein handy
NLC
Hello all,

I just want to make sure no one else is scammed by the user "Thorny" on these forums. It's a shame that someone would scam innocent hosts.

Anyway, Gary Mcnughton (or so he called himself) ordered 6 months service of a Dual Xeon server on December 21st of 2007.

First Name: Gary
Last Name: Mcnughton
Email: Removed
Phone:
Address: Withheld
City: Livingston
State: West Lothian
Language: English
Package Type: Dedicated Servers ( DEDI )
Domain Package: Dual Xeon 2.4gHz 4GB RAM
Payment Type: 2checkout

His credit card charged back a few days ago, and he claimed that it was stolen and the account was closed so he would pay via paypal. No response since then, a few hosts have come to me claiming similar stories about him.

We usually send these to collections, but I suspect that the address given is a fake and the number possibly a fake as well. Maxmind gave this order as "Slightly higher risk because between the billing address and the user's actual location is larger than expected"

Make sure to not do any business with Thorny and alert any friends you have at other hosts. I am going to try and do whatever I can to track him down and ensure he is held accountable I am not sure if FWS will take any action as far as banning this user, but I certainly would. I have his IP if any mod would like to confirm.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks utcrazy,

He actually signed up for one of my servers a while back and it was cancelled for fraud maxmind said the same thing, i think his location was showing as england.
The guy obviously has a screw loose.

I live near West Lothian, ill ask around to see if "thorny" is known to anyone ;)

The 2 pieces of address are correct but a street or postcode would be needed to narrow it down, the mobile number doesn't help either. Make sure you get a post/zip code on sign up makes tracing a load easier :wink2:

Wow, a thread all about me, time to defend myself?

Hello all,

Just to let you know that there is no scam here what so ever, i have had my CC detaisl stolen which i told UT xrazy, upon closure of my account the bank did an automatic "chargeback" on transactions within the past 6 months as that is when i started shopping online.

And your correct, i no longer live in Scotland/West lothian, i've moved. I have contacted UT via pm and also via email explaining my current situation. Mothers taken ill with a shadow on her lung, however i have managed to get to the bank and resolve this issue, and as for any other server purchases, may i just add that i have never used another credit card for purchases.

If you wish to discuss this further please contact me via pm, although i do not promise to reply as i am at the hospital most nights

Thanks

I'm really not sure about the ethical boundaries pushed here. Does the provider have the rights to post somebody's signup details in public? Never mind a chargeback, what about privacy laws and client confidentiality?

The provider concerned knew this person was a member here and deliberately created this thread to try to harm and humiliate him, posting his private details in public. I don't care if there was a chargeback, this is wrong way to deal with the situation.

I have no problem with my name etc posted, but please remove the number. UT has taken this the wrong way and is pissed at the fact he didnt get his money straight away.

I am working to resolve this, i am not a scammer, keep this post open all you like but i know where i stand and if my details are not taken down legal advice shall be taken against the board itself and the OP.

Thanks

I'm really not sure about the ethical boundaries pushed here. Does the provider have the rights to post somebody's signup details in public? Never mind a chargeback, what about privacy laws and client confidentiality?

The provider concerned knew this person was a member here and deliberately created this thread to try to harm and humiliate him, posting his private details in public. I don't care if there was a chargeback, this is wrong way to deal with the situation.

Yea...if a host has a privacy policy it most likely states clearly that you will not disclose personal information unless requested by law.

Forgive me if I don't believe you Thorny, but another provider told me you gave them the same story a few months ago. When a client attempts to scam myself and other hosts out of thousands of dollars, they revoke the privacy right as to prevent future scamming attempts from them. We will see if Thorny is legitimate. I removed any information that would've been deemed personal, his name and general area isn't' exactly something that is private. But again, I'm not just releasing client information for fun, I'm giving information about name and certain signup details as to prevent something similar from happening to you.

Why would the bank do a chargeback for all transactions in the past 6 months? I don't understand that. Did you lose your card 6 months ago and waited until recently to call it stolen?

Don't blame me for butting in also, but when my card was stolen only the transactions from the last few days were reversed.

Can't really see the bank reversing charges from a card lost six months ago, probarly turn around and say sorry you have left it too late or something to the same effect.

I have just explained this to Justin via PM,

6 months ago were when there we're spending anomolies if you like, these weren't picked up by myself, and tbh i can't remember what i have and havent bought from thos anomoly dates, so they have done a 6 month charge back. This co-insides with my security protection plan i have on my finances...

I am staying in contact with UT, whilst also trying to spend some time with my mother in hospital

I have just explained this to Justin via PM,

6 months ago were when there we're spending anomolies if you like, these weren't picked up by myself, and tbh i can't remember what i have and havent bought from thos anomoly dates, so they have done a 6 month charge back. This co-insides with my security protection plan i have on my finances...

I am staying in contact with UT, whilst also trying to spend some time with my mother in hospital

EDIT: I may be mistaken, I'm now having trouble believing Mark..there's another dedi request from thorny dating to march 8th..and he was the first response.

Last edited:
Corazu, either you are very nieve or just plainly out to pick an argument. Yes my mother is in hospital with a shadow on her lung, (look it up) i have been in contact with the bank to sort out this mess that has been cuased, and believe me Justin isn't the only person to be affected by this charge back. I suggest this thread is closed/removed quite simply it's got to a point where i have now explained myself, i have been in touch with justin and things are being sorted

Corazu, either you are very nieve or just plainly out to pick an argument. Yes my mother is in hospital with a shadow on her lung, (look it up) i have been in contact with the bank to sort out this mess that has been cuased, and believe me Justin isn't the only person to be affected by this charge back. I suggest this thread is closed/removed quite simply it's got to a point where i have now explained myself, i have been in touch with justin and things are being sorted

You're right, sorry, I just found that when someone's obviously in the hole, that's the type of stuff they pull, so when it's true it's hard to believe.

After reading a couple other posts..I don't know. I'm butting out like I should have been.

Sorry.

Good luck with your mom. I wish you the best of luck. From what I've talked to you you seem like a reasonable guy and I have faith you will get this worked out asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back