• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

BIOS problem

Nug

Mah Gituar Rox
NLC
So for the last week explorer hast started when I booted my PC. But it would come back when i rebooted. But now when I boot it goes into some BIOS thing.

Can anyone help?

Are you still booting in safe mode? Maybe you've set cmd to open up when you start your PC..

What OS you running? That could help alot more

Hm, does the bios stop open or does it do something then vanish? If it vanishes, then it could be loading something. Do a system scan, see if that pics anything up. If not, then try disabling bios in "start up programs", not sure where it is, its buried in the menus of Control Panel.

Hope that helps :)

Hm, does the bios stop open or does it do something then vanish? If it vanishes, then it could be loading something. Do a system scan, see if that pics anything up. If not, then try disabling bios in "start up programs", not sure where it is, its buried in the menus of Control Panel.

Hope that helps :)

The BIOS is a DOS menu. it's a tad to advanced for me though. But there's a lot of settings and what not. I just dont know what to do in there..

Thanks for helping me Adz :) I really appreciate it

No prob's mate. I think I might know what's up, its most definitly a back-end program, can usually be a windows required app, which is loading through a bios... I might be wrong.

Check through your "load on start" programs and see which is using BIOS to load, it may lead to your error.

Adz :)

No prob's mate. I think I might know what's up, its most definitly a back-end program, can usually be a windows required app, which is loading through a bios... I might be wrong.

Check through your "load on start" programs and see which is using BIOS to load, it may lead to your error.

Adz :)
Thanks, how can I see that?

The PCs actual BIOS?
Or is it grub or a windows boot menu?

If its the bios, likely the 3.6V battery that keeps your settings saved is flat or dieing if it keeps going to bios.
Or some other hardware is being detected to be deffernt than it was (usually only drives tho) can cause it too.

Basically if you can "save settings and exit"
And reboot fine.
Power off the PC for a few hrs then boot up and goes into the bios again, then the batterys usually dead.

Battery? Is that what the little round thing is on the motherboard? No wonder my old motherboard screwed then, I removed it :p thinking it was a cover

might be time to replace the bios battery Michael. if you don't know how, then i suggest you take it to the local computer shop. most of the time it just pops off, but, some of the new computers solder it on, so, open up the comp and take a look see at it and determine if it is something you can in fact do. if you do it yourself, take the comp to a tile floor, don't wear shoes or socks, and i suggest a static shock bracelet if you have one.

Battery? Is that what the little round thing is on the motherboard? No wonder my old motherboard screwed then, I removed it :p thinking it was a cover

lol, yeah, that will cause a problem. ;)

Just a stab in the dark, have you checked to see if there is a update for your BIOS? If so, try updating.

If not, then try disabling bios in "start up programs", not sure where it is, its buried in the menus of Control Panel.

:confused4 Love to see you try !!

Try another keyboard - a stuck key will give a keyboard error at boot (keyboard buffer fills up) and if the BIOS is set to stop/halt on that or on an 'any error' setting it will jump into the BIOS config screen instead of continuing to boot.

Hmm.. I think it might be the BIOS' battery, can you buy them at normal computer stores?

They're normally just lithium buttons CR3220 is the most common, and most shops (that sell batteries) have them not just computer stores :)

Yeh thought itd be the battery. :p

Open the case, take it out and take it to the comp shop, it unlikely they will have them tho, they dont often go dead unless the PC is rather old.

Watch shops may stock them, depends wich battery your board uses, and some of the older boards require a soldering Iron to remove :(

Back