• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Blue Screen - Unmountable_Boot_Volume

Keagle

NLC
NLC
Right, so everytime I boot up my main PC, I get to the Windows XP loading bit, and then it bluescreens with the error message UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. Is there any way I can fix this? Each time I boot I get the boot options, but my keyboard doesn't respond so I can't move off "Start Windows Normally". Which really sucks, as I've got stuff I haven't backed up and want to keep on that PC. While a format would make it sooo nice and fast, I need my design work and movies/music.

Any solutions to this or things I could try? Thanks ;)

Are you using a USB keyboard? If so, a PS/2 could help for the startup changes, but it's doubful.

If it's a desktop just pull out the hard drive, put it in another one and copy over your important files. Then you'll be free to reformat and eventually copy the files back.

Insert XP cd, boot from CD, pick recovery console, log in as administrator.
At c:> type chkdsk /r
Let it finish - reboot.

Thank you both for your fast replys, Decker, I will try that, and thanks for your suggestion Colin :) If Decker's suggestion fails(Which I hope it doesn't!), then I'll do that. :) I would +rep you both, but I can't :(

EDIT:

Finished. Did chkdsk /p and then fixboot. Worked a charm. Thanks guys :)

Last edited:
Back