• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Border guards have discovered a 3KM Long hose that was being used to smuggle vodka.

Dean

i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!
NLC
Smugglers' vodka pipeline discovered
December 11, 2004 - 8:34AM

Lithuanian border guards have discovered a three-kilometre-long hose that was being used to smuggle vodka from Belarus.

The plastic hose, which started just across the border with Belarus, was buried between two and 10 centimetres beneath the ground.

It ran beneath several roads, along a riverbed and ended in the backyard of a private house on the Lithuanian side of the border in Eisiskes.

The State Border Guard said today its officers searched several other houses, but no arrests were made.

It's the fourth such pipeline discovered since 2002 and the longest.

Vodka, which is much cheaper in Belarus, is constantly being smuggled across the border and distributed in mostly rural areas.

A small bottle of legally imported vodka costs about 16 Euros ($A28), but homemade vodka smuggled from Belarus typically sells for four Euros ($A7) a bottle.

AP

Source: AP/SMH

incredible. That's ingenious although i'll bet it'll be a pain in the blank if the hose has a leaky point somewhere.

bam, though i'm suprised that the border guards didn't keep quiet about it really. i mean, they could have had thier own private supply of vodka.

Back