• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Building a new computer

TehGuy

I'm building a new computer purely for gaming; I haven't built a new one for 4 years so mine is really outdated at this point. I'm hoping to keep the cost around $700 but I CAN'T exceed $800. I already have a case, DVD/CD burner, and a floppy drive. Here's what I've come up with so far:

$90 - Seagate 500gb HD
$180 - BFG Tech GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
$60 - 430W Antec Power Supply
$87 - Corsair 4GB DDR 800
$90 - GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35
$210 - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz
$85 - Windows Vista
$802 - Subtotal

-$80 - Rebates
$17 - Shipping

$739 - Total

I was told the Quad core was probably a gamble. As I understand it now, most games don't actually use all the cores on it, but they probably will in the couple of years; I don't plan on building a new computer for at least another 4 years, so I figured it'd be worth it to shell out the money for a quad now.

So what should I change around? And are these the best deals I can get on these parts? I've really only ever used newegg for buying PC components.

Have you at least checked at TigerDirect? Oftentimes, their parts are priced very good (though I admit I don't know how they compare to Newegg prices). Anyway, I guess it's at least worth a look.

If I were you, I'd go quad-core as well, if only for the cool factor. :cool:

Supreme Commander is a multi-core game, I've used it on my machine and I've noticed the usage. The Quad cores are also better than the respective dual cores if you are overclocking them. I have my Q6600 overclocked to 3.0GHz (with a watercooling block on the processor). Granted, with most games your processor isn't going to be the limiting factor anyway - your graphics cards will be. If you can afford 2 8800GTS/GTX in SLI I'd go for that...but it's probably going to push your budget. You could always buy one and grab another later to add in for SLI when you can afford it.

The best thing to do is upgrade bit by bit over the next while, getting what you want eventually.

I agree with Corazu, if you are on a budget at least go beefy on the motherboard so you can expand on it later in life... SLI in the future so you can be ready for Crysis 2 or whatever benchmark game comes out. I'm not the expert on GPU's, but I think the GTS is the way to go for 8800's. You can go on Tom's Hardware to find the best one for your buck. Also have a look at www.cyberpowerpc.com. That's where I got ideas to spec my new system (to purchase parts from newegg of course).

Anyone know if this power consumption calculator is accurate to any degree?

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

I'm pretty sure my power supply will be good enough, but I'm just trying to double check and get a decent idea of just how much power my computer is going to be using up. So far I'm getting about 300-320 watts.

Last edited:
Without SLI a 500W is probably good enough. Ideally grab a 750W one for possible expansions (also, using less wattage than the rated wattage is better for the life of the PSU) To put that in context: Using 450W on a 500W rated PSU probably isn't too great for it, using 450W on a 750W is much better. Not sure how much of an effect it is..but I've read that somewhere.

IF you settel for the 256mb card, you can pick it and COD4 up for $85 HERE

And you get a further $10 off if you use google checkout i think :D

Without SLI a 500W is probably good enough. Ideally grab a 750W one for possible expansions (also, using less wattage than the rated wattage is better for the life of the PSU) To put that in context: Using 450W on a 500W rated PSU probably isn't too great for it, using 450W on a 750W is much better. Not sure how much of an effect it is..but I've read that somewhere.

So my 430W power supply might be cutting it too close? :cry2:

Fnixws: That's a really good deal, but I really want the best video card I can get for the money I've got saved up. My brother on the other hand only has about $500 to build his computer so I'm sure he'll appreciate that link. Thank you! :)

No problem.
Too bad you in the US, i can get some real nice prices in AU.

As for the powersupply.
Id go no less than 500.

Altho 500w should do it without a problem, ig you start adding more hardware and peripherals that dont use external power, you may end up with supply issues.

What brands of power supply would you guys recommend? I've only ever used Antec and I've had zero problems, and I've never heard anyone else complain about their power supplies. I've heard Corsair is good, but I've heard mixed things about Thermaltake, but I was considering getting http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153052. It's a 500W power supply from them with decent reviews from newegg.

I use a Corsair, I'd recommend it personally. I'm not sure about thermaltake - they used to be decent but I haven't followed them recently.

I have this power supply. I've had it since January and it's still running fine, I got it for $12 too after a rebate, can't really go wrong with that. :p

I have this power supply. I've had it since January and it's still running fine, I got it for $12 too after a rebate, can't really go wrong with that. :p

That power supply isn't getting all that great of reviews; lots of people complaining about it dying within days of it being turned on. I'm sure it could work but I don't think I wanna risk it. The price is really tempting though. :)

I would consider that if it weren't for the fact that a bad power supply can also damage other parts in the computer. :cry2:

Dynash, hope this doesn't offend you, but Newegg offers parts for cheaper. And Newegg has a larger selection. Besides, if your a dedicated computer person, then you'll be looking at specifics and Newegg offers better specs than TigerDirect.

Back