• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Can I change domains and not lose serp ranking?

Lafaso870

Hi, I have a website that is on the bottom of page one in the search results for my keyword. It is a subdomain website. I want to purchase the exact match domain for my keyword and redirect from the old site to the new site. I think the exact match domain would rank better.
If I do this, how should I do the redirect and will I lose my serp position in doing so? Would it be better just to stick with the subdomain? Also, would google see the new site as duplicate content?
Thanks

A 301 redirect will pass PageRank and rankings pretty much completely.But I've never done it with a new domain, though, so not sure how that could affect it.

Not you will not lose that. That first 2-3 months after the change keep all of your old domain name up and running. And install 301 redirect.

IMO, Google will never consider the new site as duplicate if you redirect your old domain to new domain. Just make sure the redirection code of 301 is in proper format.
However, you will lose some Google SERP ranking for several weeks before everything gets back on normal.

If you choose exact keyword domain name then you can get better SERP position for that particular keyword. You should use 301 redirect method for this redirection.

I had a subdirectory and I moved to subdomain and with 301 redirect Google indexed fast.
Tested by me. Use 301 you will not lose anything.

It will not affected if your website content do not change. And make sure that your main domain that you bought is suite to your website and the better is do involve with keywords. I believe you able to get better SERP. Main domain always taking advantages than subdomain.

Back