• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

can i display all contents of a folder?

jimbo

hello

My host doesnt allow browsing of folders, and what i am trying to do is have a page which will display all the images in a folder without me having to identify each one (this is because i want my friends to be able to upload pictures to the site and have them automatically displayed rather than me adding more html)

Is this possible through php or java, something like that?

thanks for any help

One way to control this would be to create or edit your existing .htaccess file. To see if you have an .htaccess file you must log in with an ftp application using the -a option (see screenshot)

To create one open notepad or similar plain text editor and save it as .htaccess, if Windows balks at that upload htaccess.txt to the server in the root html directory (probably at public_html) and then change the name. Assuming you are on a Unix type server.

Make sure the file contains one of the two lines:

Options Indexes
Options -Indexes

Choose the line you like the best. The first one turns directory browsing on no matter what the server itself is set to do. The one with the minus sign in front of it turns directory browsing (a.k.a. automatic indexing) off.

Attachments

• a_option.gif
    a_option.gif
    9.3 KB · Views: 10
Back