• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Can I force my core i7 to always use 2.8 GHz?

If I can't increase my minimum core speed... how about...

Solving this problem: http://camstudio.org/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=368

So I have this powerful laptop...

1. It has 6 GB RAM.
2. Windows 7 x64 Home Premium.
3. 1.60 GHz Intel Core i7 Processor (8 Logical Cores, turbos up to 2.8 GHz.)
4. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 (1 GB Dedicated Video Graphics.)

And I can't get a decent framerate on ANY codec except MPEG-4 Fast-mode or whatever it is. It can only go up to about 30 FPS though. It also has horrible quality. If I use h.264 (regardless of if it's ffmpeg or not... it starts out at 25 FPS, but quickly degrades to 10 FPS average over about 3 seconds, and stays there.)

On my oldish desktop that I had a beta version of Win7 on... (3.0 GHz Dual Core - Intel Core 2 Duo.) The Camstudio recorder could get up to 50 FPS on an HD codec (It had an nVidia GTS 250 in it, which also has 1 GB of VRAM.)

Yes, I have all my desktop glitz off, so it's not that problem. I would also be recording Perfect World at full screen, so it might slow down even more, even though the processor doesn't even get about 1.7 GHz when using the game.

Linux can obviously go up to 50 FPS easily, but Perfect World has had some troubles in WINE. Also, if you really want to see linux recording well, try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA4qMdXb25U

This youtube video I just gave is an IBM t41 laptop (1.5 GB RAM, 1.60 SINGLE CORE Processor, and ATI Mobility FireGL 9000.)

It's output is about 30-50 FPS, but the recording FPS was 10-15 FPS.

If I could use andLinux or coLinux, this wouldn't be a problem, as then I could use gtk-recordmydesktop. But I can't, I'd need to buy a full version of Windows and install 32-bit.

Well, figured something out on CamStudio to make the framerate better... (this won't make the framerate better for most codecs though, only the Camstudio Lossless seemed to be affected by this.)

1. Set bit color depth to 16-bits (Windows 7 will probably restore this to 32-bit when you restart.)

2. DRASTIC Framerate Increase - Put resolution a step or two lower (IE: 1280 x 720 instead of 1600 x 900.) (Make sure your fullscreen programs don't resize it to higher.)

3. Tell your video card to do "Best Performance" for 3D.

4. ALWAYS have Desktop Compositing Off!

This may shoot the framerate up to 100 FPS for normal desktop screencasting, but for 3D it'll still go down to 30 FPS or so (which is still a whole lot better than 5 FPS like before.)

Last edited:
There is the possibility of over clocking the processor, but since this is a notebook PC, you run the serious risk of over heating. Notebooks have poor cooling in good conditions, add an over charged processor working at top notch performance... Disaster.
But the option is there ^_^

sarah[foxlass];1102355 said:
There is the possibility of over clocking the processor, but since this is a notebook PC, you run the serious risk of over heating. Notebooks have poor cooling in good conditions, add an over charged processor working at top notch performance... Disaster.
But the option is there ^_^

TurboBoost IS an Overclocking system. People just don't know it. My laptop also has a Dual-Turbo button that I always have on. My laptop has two high-powered fans that exit air through the back.

TurboBoost IS an Overclocking system. People just don't know it. My laptop also has a Dual-Turbo button that I always have on. My laptop has two high-powered fans that exit air through the back.

And yet it's still slow, and unresponsive. Thats why I love my AMD Phenom ^_^

None the less, you could manually overclock it.

sarah[foxlass];1102773 said:
And yet it's still slow, and unresponsive. Thats why I love my AMD Phenom ^_^

None the less, you could manually overclock it.

That's not possible, the BIOS does not have the ability to set the frequency, and using ASUS' EasyTurbo in the BIOS (set to Turbo setting) doesn't work.

I'd love to get an AMD Phenom X6 at 3.0 GHz, but right now, it's not possible. I bought this laptop because I was sure I'd use it for what I desire, but now that I'm using it, I'm not sure. Regardless, I'm not taking it back, it's a good computer.

And it's NOT slow and unresponsive. I can record at 30 FPS with all kinds of 3D running in Windows. (IE: Perfect World MMORPG.) But only on 1024 x768 as I said.

Keep in mind that it's not unresponsive to the eye when recording, only when you encode the video, is it unresponsive (in the video.)

That also said, CamStudio only makes the processor boost to 2 GHz when recording, and often times unboosts back down. I'm not sure why this is, because I've set the recording priority to highest and whatnot. Seems like the processor is working hard, and whatnot, but... it just seems like the programs aren't taking full advantage.

Last edited:
sarah[foxlass];1103353 said:
Do you think it is possible that it could be the software you are using?

Have you got the latest DX update and everything?

Yes I do, my card doesn't support DirectX 11 (Not many cards do actually.)

Also note that the FSB/multiplier needs to be changed via BIOS, not Windows.

Back