• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

can someone please advise me ?

pro5ject

NLC
Right I just moved to a 3 storey house, I have my office on the top floor... but they cannot get the cable upto it (due to roof shape, and not being able to get a ladder to it, etc, blah blah).

What do I do, get a wireless network, or a 20 metre USB lead and do it myself inside (if they exist, I've searched and not found)

I don't know what I need for a wireless network, can someone advise me, and also the cost in UK £, and maybe a link to somewhere where I can buy all things needed.

Or can someone show were I can buy a 20 metre USB lead.

Currently my machine is setup on the floor :( downstairs, I wish it was in my newly decorated office, please help

Thanks, one sad :( pro5ject

I'd suggest not to use wireless if you can help it. It's mostly very unsecure and the speed isn't anything great.

And why USB? You can't use regular ethernet and connect it to a router or something?

So is your main PC downstairs, and other PC's on the top floor or something different?

At the moment I have a 50 metre cross-over network cable running from the bottom of my apartment to the top connecting both PCs. Until I know more I can't really help you, sorry.

And why USB? You can't use regular ethernet and connect it to a router or something?

Agreed.

Can't go wrong with a good ole spool of CAT5/6 cable and a switch / router.

It's cheap and easy to configure!

Originally posted by Daniel
I'd suggest not to use wireless if you can help it. It's mostly very unsecure and the speed isn't anything great.

USB would make it easier, I can just drop the cable from up to downstairs.

So is your main PC downstairs, and other PC's on the top floor or something different?

At the moment I have a 50 metre cross-over network cable running from the bottom of my apartment to the top connecting both PCs. Until I know more I can't really help you, sorry.

I have my main box downstairs, which I must have upstairs (the best one gfx, etc), on the topfloor 2 laptops and one older PC (ok for surfing, etc).

Agreed.

Can't go wrong with a good ole spool of CAT5/6 cable and a switch / router.

It's cheap and easy to configure!

I might be able to get some of that cable free from my ISP, I will look into that, I was worried as I don't know much about networking, etc. But a cable to my topfloor for the modem would be best.

Yeah, get some CAT5 and a router, it's pretty cheap and very easy to configure...it's worth it too, you can expand easily, add more computers, etc.

I install cable modems and networking. I dont know if you are talking about coax or rj cable. If you're wanting ethernet (RJ-45), then you need to start in the attic. Run a wall drop to the room where you want it. In the attic, you run the other end to the outside and down the wall, then into the room where you want it.

OR

A lot of 2/3 story houses with attics have vent chutes in the attic. That's how they run the big...errm....the big silver hoses for your ac/heat down to lower floors to their perspective vents.....dont slip into the chute, it's a long fall...LOL. However, most have makeshift ladders in them. If your first floor room is close to that, you can simply run the wire straight down it, and put an outlet where you want it.

OR

You can go wireless. Be careful though. Anyone can drive up close to your house and get a wireless connection via your house if they know how (it's not hard to do). So make sure your network security is good so they dont also have access to the files on your computers...

I've decided to run a cable my self internally.

now I need some more help, I need 2 of these connectors ( http://www.cencom94.com/catalog2.2.html ).
Does anyone know where I can buy just 2 and ones that don't use the tool to compress it.

Then some coax cable, where can I buy this from, and how many ohms does it have to be ?

Best is to run RG-11 from the cable tap to your house. Then wire your house with RG-6. The RG-11 is about as thick as your index finger and lets a lot more juice flow thru. This is good to do if you have a lot of splitters, since you lose 3db's power on every split.

Your modem needs to run off the FIRST split, and it should be only a two-way splitter. See my little diagram below.

PHP:
                |
         Cable In
                |
        ________
       |            |
Modem          TV
                    |

As for coax ends. The best ones are the snap ones. You need a tool to do it. The crimp, screw on, etc, all come loose as they get older and you start to lose signal. The only pic I can find of one isnt very good:: http://tvccatalog.tvcinc.com/Catalog_Graphics/L1-3.GIF

Well my diagram doesnt come out quite right.

Last edited:
the easiest solution would be to go wireless.

The cost if fairly cheap ($175) and easy to setup.

To prevent wardriving, just enable mac filtering and WEP.

I recommend the Orinoco products (www.proxim.com).

Couldn't you just buy the cable they uses in networks. I think it would have been cheaper than the tv cable line.

go wireless, just put some encryption on it. I have a 802.11a setup in my house, and i paid about $500CAD to get it hooked up to 4 stationary PC's and 2 notebooks. Wireless is the way to go as long as you put some encryption on it.

I finally got round to doing it, just 2 coax connectors, and 25 metres of coax, and a splitter . . . . . I can finally use my office to it's fullest now . . . :D

Plus it was very cheap to do, under £10

Back