• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Caught in a dilemna

trenzterra

NLC
OK, my site is being visited often and smilies.uni.cc is now listed as the first entry under 'smiley packs' on Google. That's good, but I just found out that Google does not accept dulplicate pages unless they are HTTP 301 redirects. It seems however that some other search engines do not support it, and Google itself doesn't seem to preach what it says.

I've been having getsmilies.com for about 2 weeks now, and there's NO search engine entry in any of the search engines existing on Earth, or at least most of them. All I see are smilies.uni.cc and trenzterra.uni.cc.

So I decided to use a manual redirect page and used the Custom HTML option in uni.cc.

I am concerned however, as it doesn't show that page to any pages under it, and Smiley Packs on Google links to smilies.uni.cc/packs, which I am afraid it will generate a HTTP 404 error and users will think TrenzSmilies no longer exist...

Does anyone have any idea how long will search engines index my new website and whether there is a way to redirect all pages while not affecting this dulplicating thingy?

3. I'm changing my URL. How can I maintain my rank?

Regrettably, we cannot manually change your listed address at the same time you move to your new site.

That said, there are steps you can take to make sure your transition is a smooth one. Google listings are based in part on our ability to find you from links on other sites. To preserve your rank, you will want to inform others who link to you of your change of address. One way to find out who is linking to you is to try a link search. Enter "link:[your full URL]" into the Google search box. You may not find every page that links to you with this method, but it should help you begin redirecting the links leading to your site. (Please note: we do not serve link queries for all of the sites in our index, so this may not produce any results for your site.) Once your new site is live, you may wish to place a permanent redirect (using a "301" code in HTTP headers) on your old site to inform visitors and search engines that your site has moved.

Finally, if your site goes unlisted for a time, this does not mean you were dropped from our index. Sometimes, in these transitions, we will fail to find a site at its new address. Just be sure that others are linking to you and we should pick you up on our next web crawl.

Back