• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Celeron Servers

jiehao85

ORiN
NLC
I am wondering how are the performance of Celeron servers when it comes to handling like 20+ websites? Only 2-3 of them see traffic ranging up to near 100GB a month.

What about the level of administrative knowledge I need? I am moving from a reseller to another level if I am getting a dedicated server. I know linux commands but definitely not adept with them. It will be great if a server can be managed through an interface instead of using commands.

well that is really a hard nut to crack and is a large problem associated with going from reseller to dedicated. There really is not a viable option other than managed dedicated or a larger reseller account. You could get a mild control panel to help you out but that still does not cover hardening and securing the server and things that may go wrong that you cannot fix. Imagine if that control panel you rely on took a dump

We have a dedicated customer on a SuperMicro 2.4 Ghz Celeron with over 42,000 registered members and 300 constant users online on thier forums and they have yet to run into any problems. Server load is usually around the .77ish area.

We also have another dedicated customer who has 85 of his clients on the same type of server and it runs very well for the most part as well.

Celeron's are not the best, but if they have a good motherboard and other hardware its a great way to start off.

As far as administrative part you should find a good provider who can mange the server for you and perhaps show you how to do things that way your learning, but you have "big brother" to fall back on should you mess something up.

Best of luck!

I would say your best bet would be a managed server with a decent control panel. For hosting business servers I recommend Cpanel, but if your just needing something that can upload, manage FTP, make logs, show space etc, use the free Zpanel, or the cheap Direct Admin, or CPanel if you still want that. I would give Plesk as a choice, but you sound like your after a lInux server only.

plesk works fine for linux as well. Although I would go for direct admin, there is the option of buying the license one time for a VERY reasonable amount

Yes, I will probably go for cPanel since my clients are all using cPanel at the moment. Budget is quite a problem too, that's why I have to go for a Celeron server.

I don't really have a definite budget but I am looking for abudget managed server. The cheapest I have seen so far is like $90/mth.

yeah I would do something like a celery from layeredtech and get management from acunett.com that is probably about as cheap as its gonna get

Celeron servers are fine, I have had over 300 hosting accounts on them & never had any issues. If its optimized correctly it will be fine.

As long as you are doing it right and keeping things secured, you should be fine with a Celeron servers even if it is going to be a lot of galleries.

That's right. I am seriously considering Avail's suggestion of getting an unmanaged server and get server services from acunett.com when I need it. It will be a lot more cost efficient for me until I am making enough for me to switch to a better offering.

Back