• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

:: Colocation Help ::

iiPanel

Hello All, :wave:

Can you please guys help me answer some of the below questions about coloco:

- How many servers can a 1/4 cabinet have?
- How can the 1/4 cabinet have more than one server and it says that for 1/4 only 250GB Bandwidth is offered?

Hope you can help me. :)

Thankyou all.

Wassouf
iiPanel.NET

iiPanel said:
It depends on the size of the cabinet and the size of the server. Usually 1/4 Cabinet has 10u space. That is enough for 10 1u servers, or 5 2u servers...
You may also need some space for your switch and power supply if that is not included (ask the colo provider).
You also need to make sure that there is enough power for the servers, this is usually the limiting factor.

iiPanel said:
- How can the 1/4 cabinet have more than one server and it says that for 1/4 only 250GB Bandwidth is offered?
It depends on the colo facility. Bandwidth is usually billed on the 95th percentile, which is much better if you colo multiple servers. Some colo facilities offer per GB billing (as does the one you mention).
There is usually room to buy more bandwidth, but that would incure additional costs. Ask the colo provider what additional transfer would cost. (250GB is a bit low for a hosting company.)

Ask if you have more questions, you could also pm me if you don't want your colo needs to be public knowledge. :)

Well a cabinet is typically 42U, although I've seen cabinets which are larger. As for bandwidth, like the above poster said, its on 95% but my experiences are that its normally by the MBPs. Lowest commits are usually around 1 MBPS.

1/4 cab is 10u by standard definition

the bandwidth is usally on all servers in that "cabinet"
and they can share bandwidth without a problem, usually there is a private switch that calculates bandwidth on a specific bunch of servers.

make sure to ask about power. Each dual xeon server can use a fair amount of power unless they are not giving you an amp restriction (unlikely) Xeons can use between 1.5-3+amps of power depending on the system

iiPanel said:
Hello All, :wave:

Can you please guys help me answer some of the below questions about coloco:

Hope you can help me. :)

Thankyou all.

Wassouf
iiPanel.NET

1/4 is 10u - You should beabe to choose your commit level and burstable. Say if you want 10Mbit commit, and 100Burstable, that would be charged on 95th%tile.

Are you sure its only 250GB of bandwidth, that seems kind of low, not even really 1Mbps connect, which means you are probably going to be on copper :(

Actually 250 GB sounds ok. Not the greatest transfer out there, but you really can not look at transfer in a colo scenario. You need to look at bandwidth. Our partners have a 2MB connection, but it is billed at the 90 percentile and and burstable to 100MB. I am not too sure what they pay, but this is one of the best colo packages out there.

Back