• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Computer keeps on shutting off unexpectingly! help me

mattie005

My computer shuts off expectedly.
It shuts off when i start up a game most of the time, and sometimes when i am just normally browzing the internet. yes i know - its most likely overheating, but the CPU fan is ok, PSU fan is ok and the case fan is fine. i also have a case that tells me the temperate of the harddrive, cpu and system. they seem to be ok when it shuts off.

do you know what it could be... it shuts off after about 1 hour of just browzing the internet or going on msn, and it shuts of after 2 mins when i am playing a fullscreen game.

any ideas? thanks in advance.

scan the computer for viruses/adware, make sure you have no driver conflicts, otherwise if it's none of those two my money is on cpu overheating

If it's not a virus, it's overheating. Check the inside of the case, and make sure there are no wires impeding the movement of, for instance, the CPU fan.

I encountered this very problem some months ago....

First thing you need to do is to perform a full scan with any good antivirus and antispyware software.

Next, open your cabinet and then start PC and see if it still shuts down. If it doesn't, then it is a pure case of overheating and you need to add a fan or may be place your CPU in a cooler position....

However, if either of these two things do not solve your problem, then there is a problem with your motherboard (which was the problem in my case). In this case, you'll probably need to replace the power supply.... If you're an expert user, you can test your power supply box on a friend's PC....

sounds like a overheating/ventilation issue... maybe check the fans and probably do a general cleanup of the computer cabinet...

sounds like a power supply to me at first glance. Try unplugging all non essential items (extra hdd's, cd roms) and then run it for a bit and see if that fixes it, you may be just over stressing it. If that fails pickup an extra power supply and see if that cures your problems

Back